How to Prevent PC Overheating While Playing Games? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Do you regularly play games and complain that your PC gets overheated. Overheating PCs may lead to sudden shutdowns, hardware damage, and lost data. Proper cooling of PC is vital if you play video games regularly. Proper cooling contributes to component longevity and PC performance.

If you are facing the problem of overheating regularly, try these methods:

1. Clean Your PC

Dust is very common, and it easily builds up in any PC, no matter how spacious or modern it is. The dust clogs up fans and vents which in result traps hot air. A proper cleaning maintains a cooling flow of air.

Before cleaning your hardware, make sure to prepare for two simple things:

• Make sure the power cable is unplugged, and the system is powered off.
  • Before touching any internal components, make sure to ground yourself to release static electricity in your body. Wear an anti-static wristband to keep yourself “grounded” throughout the procedure.

The first step is to clean every fan inside your PC. This includes your CPU fan, power supply fan, and all the external fans. Get rid of loose dust with the compressed air and clean the blades of the fan with the alcohol and a cloth. Just cleaning the fans will build a big change in your PC.

1. Set Higher Fan Speeds

Check your default fan configurations. You need to change them as they can contribute to overheating. With the default settings, your fans might be running too slowly to cool down the PC parts. Various GPUs show high temperatures because the GPU driver software only stimulates the GPU’s fan under certain load ranges. That’s when you should start taking control of your fan speeds.

1. Cable Management

Most gamers ignore component cables, which take up a good amount of space. If the cables are not arranged well, they may contribute to the dust collecting problems and overheating. If your cables are scattered around, the proper airflow inside the PC case is not managed which means your PC is not intaking cool air and exhausting hot air efficiently, trapping in dust and heat. To overcome this, zip-tie, move and configure your cables to create more free space on your PC. Cable management needs unplugging components and arranging them back in.  Hence, taking the plunge will offer a better airflow, easier component replacement, and an overall cleaner look.

1. Maintain Proper Airflow

Keeping proper airflow is necessary to keep a cool PC. Maintaining proper airflow is not just about having a clean computer. Fan orientation is also considered. Proper airflow doesn’t completely require added fans. It means sustaining a middle ground between positive and negative pressure. When cool outside air is rushed into the system, then it is positive airflow whereas when hot inside air is rushed outward, then it is negative airflow. Your aim should be neutral airflow wherein an equal amount of hot air is exhausted out, and cool air is rushed in. There is an indicator on the fan itself to show which way air  should be directed.

So have you ever had heating problems while playing video games? What did you do to keep your PC cool? Let us know in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

30 thoughts on “How to Prevent PC Overheating While Playing Games?

1. roisterous says:

I can’t say that I’ve personally experienced the overheating issue, but it probably is an inconvenience that many face. These really are a good set of tips and tricks for people to try.

2. Leila says:

Define overheating. I mean, when I put my laptop on my lap and after an hour I feel hot, I place it on the table. Is it considered overheating because I can’t stand the heat?

3. Maripaz says:

I don’t mess with my PC’s internals. I have it regularly cleaned by a technician every six months, regardless if I notice any overheating issues or not. That is the best prevention. Prevention is better than cure, remember?

4. Maury Cheskes says:

Thanks for the article! PCs definitely need a lot of maintenance if you want them to last long.

5. Rruchi Shrimalli says:

For a serious gamer like me, these are certainly excellent tips. And I agree, serious gamers do tinker with their hardware now and then, for optimum performance. There are a lot of tips available for software side of cleaning the PC. This article addresses the ‘hardware’ issues really well. Thanks!

6. Ice Queen says:

Me I do not tweak my PC that much. I lighten up program usage so that my system will not work overtime.

7. invisible woman says:

Do not tweak hardware unless you have too. This is why I avoid hi specs games because more often than not games like that forces you to tweak your pc .

8. Job says:

It’s been ages since the last time I cleaned my computer so I guess I have to do it now. I’m sure the dust has covered everything. I’m lucky that my PC hasn’t been damaged from overheat.

9. Rebi says:

It really needs to have a proper airflow. I’m not playing games but it’s very helpful to me especially because most people use laptop nowadays and overheating is a problem most of the times.

I’m guilty of not cleaning my PC! Looks like the bottom line is the PC should be kept dust-free and should have sufficient airflow. And maybe we should give the PC a breather from time to time, too.

11. Joel says:

Nice tips, these should be done regularly especially if you are a hardcore gamer who likes to overclock your PC. I have been guilty of neglecting to cool my PC in the past and it cost me my motherboard 😦

12. andycool says:

great tips… as a gamer i also doing what you suggestion in the article, for cleaning parts points, sometimes i also need to dismantle processor fan to more easily in clean it while also i could check the cooling pasta is it stiffen or still in good condition, by doing this, i was confidence to not let any dust residue after clean my CPU. I also added additional fan and arrange it so the airflow is not stuck inside my CPU. 1-2 times a month doing clean depending how often i used my computer.

13. George says:

If you don’t want your PC to accumulate dust easily, place it on a clean surface! And make sure not to push it against the wall or something. Give it some “breathing space.”

14. Andy says:

Oi if you don’t know how to clean your computer’s intestinals, leave it to the experts! You’re a gamer not a techinician!

15. Jea says:

I’ve the usual basic procedures to prevent overheating. I didnt know thats its possible to manage airflow. Thank you for the information, very useful.

16. jeof says:

my PC is placed in the coolest area of the house so it has good airflow. when i play games, i see to it that i don’t spend more than 5 hours.

17. b.aquin says:

my game pc is separate from our home office pc. thus, it does not have any unnecessary connections and cables that may hinder airflow.

18. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

It will help if once in a while you open your system and clean them. Twice a year is more like it

19. Kyo Kusagi says:

In line with Tsukasa It will also be beneficial to reformat. I do it every year and upgrades of course.

20. Vann says:

I sit in front of my computer for more than 8 hours a day so I am really concerned about PC overheating and stuff. I recently bought a new USB fan and it really works like magic.

21. Carla says:

Thank you for this article! Although I haven’t noticed my computer overheating, I’ll open it to check what’s inside! Maybe some dust already accumulated I’ll just clean it off.

22. Ismail says:

I reckon everyone who has read this article opened their CPUs just to have a look! Hahaha! A laptop is pretty is to tell if it’s overheating. It’s not so noticeable for PCs because you don’t touch the CPU all the time. Solution? Have a regular schedule for cleaning!

23. Jesus says:

Thanks for the tips. This is very helpful to keep our pc from overheating.

24. Kiara Leslie says:

Thank you for the tips. Now I know what to do to keep my PC in mint condition and to prevent the overheating. I usually just turn it off when it became to hot

25. kdj2017 says:

I don’t do a lot of gaming on my PC, but I had no idea that you could change your fan speed. I’m sure that will come in handy if I ever experience overheating due to any reason!

26. Shin says:

I agree! Dust buildup can cause a lot of problems for your computer. It’s important to clean it every now and then.

27. Daigo says:

We spend hours and hours playing yet we don’t know what’s happening inside our PCs. Maintenance is very important to optimize the performance of our computers.

28. Hashim says:

Aside from regular cleaning, what are other suggestions you can give to prevent dust accumulation inside the CPU? Do we need to swap some internals for more “breathing space” ?

29. jeoffrey says:

my computer is customized for games and for office use. i installed extra fans and cooling devices so that it does not overheat even when used for long hours.

30. george says:

i just turn on a small desk fan to blow air into the cpu and that’s it. computers don’t usually bug down or overheat as long as it is capable enough to run the games you installed.