Game Development and Animations Video Blog

Hello again! Today’s art tutorial is about Shading, Lighting & Sphere with Project-X Champion Brajjit presented by our lead artist Marcos. If you have any questions please leave comments here or you may tweet us @essjay_ent. More art tutorials to follow. We hope you enjoy this video!

Please pause the video to read the information in the text boxes if they fade away too fast.

Next tutorial will feature Project-X Villain Mike the Sadist.

We have English CC available in all our videos.

All art images in the video are Copyrighted to Saljack Enterprises, LLC with All Rights Reserved.

To watch all of our tutorials, please visit our YouTube page here: Saljack YouTube or to view a full listing of the tutorials please visit this page on our blog: Tutorials

Music by: Otis McDonald

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A WORK OF FICTION. NAMES, CHARACTERS, BUSINESSES, PLACES, EVENTS, AND INCIDENTS ARE EITHER THE PRODUCTS OF THE AUTHOR’S IMAGINATION OR USED IN A FICTITIOUS MANNER. ANY RESEMBLANCE TO ACTUAL PERSONS, LIVING OR DEAD, OR ACTUAL EVENTS IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL.

Cami_Signature

27 thoughts on “Art Tutorial 8: Shading, Lighting & Sphere with Project-X Champion Brajjit

1. Beth says:

I have a hard time with making things look three-dimensional. I guess this is the answer! Looks easy enough, great1

2. Natassja says:

Ah very timely! I struggle with shading a lot. After watching tons of videos online, I still can’t do it properly. But this tutorial breaks it down to simple parts! Vielen dank!

3. Shin says:

Project-X Champion Brajjit looks so badass. I love his pose. It looks like he’s suspended in the air.

4. kdj2017 says:

This is an awesome educational video. I am interested watching step-by-step how shading can make something so much more realistic!

5. Robin James says:

The guns look realistic. I love how he draw them.

6. Jesus says:

I like how he draw that sphere thing. Very pleasing to the eye.

7. Kerwin says:

Dear Marcos, how to be you? You make it look very easy! I will try to do this on paper — the old fashioned way!

8. Ronnie says:

Great topic! I was following along with the video, but I still can’t do it on my own. I mean, if I try drawing and shading a new object, it won’t turn out right! Aaaaargh!

9. Vann says:

I love doing shading exercises during my free time. It really helps me improve my shading techniques.

10. thelma says:

i just took up drawing as a new hobby and i’m trying to do shading nowadays. it’s a bit challenging since you have to make sure where your light source come from to apply the correct areas to shade.

11. cara.mo says:

aside from the lines that creates an illusion of movement, shading is helpful to give depth to drawings. there are many drawings that utilizes different shading techniques and it really makes the work come alive.

12. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

I agree its an educational video for animators and fans alike. Good video for beginners.

13. Kyo Kusagi says:

Shading is used to depic important stuff in animation. IN anime if the shading is dark it means someone is saying something important.

14. Nicola says:

Very, very educational! Shading is very difficult but Marcos here made it very easy. I just have to pause it a lot of times to read the text (which is very small!) Also, the background music can be improved. Maybe a slower tempo? Doesn’t have to be upbeat and fast-paced all the time. Cheers!

1. Thank you for the friendly critique!

15. Shontelle says:

It’s mind-blowing to see how a flat shape can have dimensions when you shade it. You just have to keep in mind where the light is coming from!

16. invisible woman says:

Nice tutorial. I hope the story will follow suit

17. Ice Queen says:

From what I remember Brajit does not seem to look like that. I have not seen it for long so I could be wrong.

18. Job says:

There are so many things I learned from this video. First, I learned how to properly do shading. Second, I also learned how to draw a shaded sphere. And the best part, I learned all of this for free. Isn’t that amazing?

19. Farhan says:

One thing I learned from this tutorial is: you can enhance shading by changing direction of the strokes. Genius! Very simple yet makes a lot of difference.

20. Olly says:

I agree Rebi! (Is it pronounced as REH-BI or RIB-EYE?) Clothes shading is very hard! Especially if there are many folds, like in this case, the trousers!. Practice, practice, practice!

21. Ali says:

Ive always loved art. This is a great help for people like me who enjoy things like this.

22. Cyra says:

I like how the colored cylinders included red showing how the light variations affect the tone. The background music is really catchy.

23. Rebi says:

This is one of my weaknesses in painting characters especially the shading of the clothes. Very helpful for me here.

In theory I know how lighting and shading works. However, when I create, say, a scenery with two-three people with furniture or whatever included, my shading just doesn’t look right. I think I get confused on how much light foreground and background objects get…

25. Connie says:

I like the shading exercises, it’s so easy and so much fun. I feel like I can do it while I’m riding the bus or the train. The background music is really catchy.

26. This video really shows how lighting and shading affects the depth of a drawing. I like how the colored cylinders included red showing how the light variations affect the tone. I’m sure if you follow this video step by step the result will be more complex drawings with proper texture and picture quality.