Essential Programming Languages For Game Design. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

It’s an unavoidable fact that game designers are asked to do a little programming. This comes down to new designers often switching their positions in teams a lot, and the nature of game design teams is changeable. It is not surprising for designers to step in and out of a program, clearing up the game programmers to work on anything more complex, just like it is not uncommon for programmers to be discussed during the design process. Getting started in programming can be a little daunting start.

Where to Start?

There are thousands of programming languages out there, but only a very small subset are frequently used, so how does a new game designer-come-developer know where to start from?

There are two main types of programming you should focus on: These are called ‘systems’ programming and ‘web’ programming. Both are necessary, although what you end up doing will mostly be dropping to the focus of the studio and their in-development titles.

Systems Programming: It means programming for a stand-alone application, for example, when a video game run on your machine. The two most popular languages for game designers to learn are C++ and Java. Other common languages are C# for Unity.

• C++: It is a language with a comparatively high entry barrier and a greater reward because it allows more direct control over the graphical processes and hardware which is something crucial in video game design. It uses internal structures to organize code into reusable blocks better ( including classes and objects). It is by far the most commonly used languages for writing game engines, and engines like Unreal. These engines only accept information written in C++. If you are willing to choose only one language to learn, this would be it, because almost every other object-oriented language stems from C++. So learning them would be easier.
  • Java: Java is used for everything, from microwaves and printers to complex video game systems. It is a very powerful language with lots of applications, which make it seem like a good choice to learn. Java is nearly related to C++, so learning both the languages alongside each other would not be much difficult.

Web Languages: Web Languages: CSS and HTML are the languages used to give a page structure and visual display elements, respectively. HTML is a dominant language and can be easily used in place of JavaScript in some cases.

JavaScript is used to make things appear on a page, such as to move things across the page.

SQL is used for the back – end database so that the player can reach their account and can easily do other things on the server.

If you are working with the studio that has a web-game focus, it’s helpful to brush up on all these languages, but you reasonably will not require a deep knowledge of them. Hence the language you choose to learn will depend on a lot on where your interest in game design lies!

So which programming languages do you know? Where does your interest lie? Let us know in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

17 thoughts on “Essential Programming Languages For Game Design

1. fiona says:

One of my friends used to work for a gaming company and it was a tough job! They had long hours. I think it’s mainly a job for people who are single.

2. Eustaquio says:

Couldn’t agree more with this article! C++ is the most basic programming language one has to learn. I tried it, but I didn’t pursue programming because I realized later on that it is not for me.

3. Mansoor says:

Is there an online tutorial for these programming languages? I’m quite interested. I’ve pretty much played all sorts of games and I have ideas of my own. Or maybe make a similar game to DoTA but improve it.

4. marry says:

first of all, i didnt know that game designers are required to know some about programming. I do agree that Java is a powerful language, it’s in everything.

5. K.hai says:

it happens to me that I just started to learn Python. I’m a beginner so, is Python could be used for gaming too? anyway, thanks for sharing!

I know most of these programming languages but haven’t used any to create games. Programming is not for all but the good thing is once you know programming logic, it will be much more easier to shift from one programming language to the next. Sometimes only the syntax is the difference.

Liked by 2 people

7. Finn says:

I’m currently learning C++ in school. It’s very easy to learn. I wanna learn Java next.

Liked by 2 people

8. Rebi says:

This article is very true. I’m an IT person though i’m more interested in web programming since i’ve been doing it in months now. I hope I will get an opportunity to be part of game development and someone will teach me too!

Liked by 2 people

9. Sunny says:

I only know a bit of CSS and HTML. It’s quite hard though so I gave up. I guess I’m not really cut out for this job.

Liked by 2 people

10. Marcus says:

Just started with C++ and I’m lovin’ it! Not limiting myself to game development though. So many possibilities if you know programming see?

Liked by 2 people

11. Ihman says:

I have just completed an advanced CSS and HTML program and it was the best 3 months ever! I suggested you upgrade your skills too!

Liked by 2 people

12. rodi says:

when i was younger, i wanted to make a game of my own but when i realized i had to learn programming i kind of lost interest in it although i’ve tried making one. i can’t seem to get the codes right, i mean they don’t work the way i wanted them too. i guess i have to study some more.

Liked by 2 people

13. deryk says:

a friend of mine taught me programming stuff but i don’t understand a single thing of it. it literally sounded greek to me! but good thing there are people who are cut out for the job than me. i mean we can’t learn everything there is to learn, can’t we?

Liked by 2 people

14. Carlo says:

I started with CSS and HTML and have no background with C++. Should I take up C++ too? I’m doing fine but I am bothered that someday I might need C++. What do you think?

Liked by 2 people

15. Zandro says:

I’m not a very techie person, I just love to play games. But I know it’s a very vast architecture of programming in the background and I salute all our programmers for always coming up with exciting and challenging games!

Liked by 2 people

16. kenneth says:

Programming is not for all but the good thing is once you know programming logic, it will be much more easier to shift from one programming language to the next. I’m an IT person though i’m more interested in web programming since i’ve been doing it in months now.

17. Computer says:

Programming is not for all but the good thing is once you know programming logic, it will be much more easier to shift from one programming language to the next. Programming is not for all but the good thing is once you know programming logic, it will be much more easier to shift from one programming language to the next.