Are you a college graduate looking for jobs in the gaming industry? The competition in this industry is only increasing day by day.So if you are going to give an interview at a game studio, you should be well prepared. Below are some of the best tips for any aspiring game developer on the hunt for their next job in this competitive and growing industry.
- Don’t Overdress: Unlike most other tech-dependent companies where employees have their desks, game developers normally have a laid back culture. But this doesn’t mean people work for their shorts and nothing else, but you’ll hardly see anybody wearing a suit and tie. So, showing up overdressed will show that you’re not acquainted with the industry, which is never a good thing.
- Research About The Company Background: You’re not likely to be hired by a developer if you’re not even familiar with the type of work they do. This doesn’t mean you have to be an expert at it, but you should be prepared to prove that you do have an interest in the developer’s current games.
- Sell Yourself: No matter what type of question you are asked by the interviewer, always take it as a chance to prove why you’re the perfect choice for their job. This means connecting your answers with your education, career accomplishments, or relevant experience and projects. The whole motive of the interview is to get to know you, so try talking about yourself without overdoing it.
- Prepare For A Test: The recruiter will usually tell you if the interview will include some test. Tests are usually given for game design, writing, and programming positions, so do your online research to understand out what they consist of.
- Relax!: The best way to be more confident and relaxed is by preparing well, so you’re not hit with any unexpected questions that may make your body language reveal your nervousness. Feel free to take a deep breath and assemble yourself whenever necessary.
- Don’t Lie: Making games is quite challenging, which means people will assume you to work well under pressure if you say you excel under it. So being honest is normally the safest route.
- Be On Time: Prefer going fifteen to twenty minutes prior the decided time. This particularly applies to the gaming job hunters since it determines that you are both timely and responsible, which are the two important virtues in the fast-paced and schedule dependent world of game development.
- A Sincere Interest In The Company’s Games: If you are applying for a company whose games you have already played and enjoy them, you’ll surely stand out if you can express your true enthusiasm for them. If you’ve never played their game titles before then, pick one up and play it before the interview or at least watch gameplay videos online surely.
Have you recently gone for a gaming interview? Share your experience with us in the comments section!
DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHORS (THIRD PARTY) AND OTHER CONTRIBUTORS. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS SITE. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR PERMISSION TO REPUBLISH/REPOST/REBLOG/QUOTE ANY ARTICLE PUBLISHED BY US.