How to Make Money by Selling Retro Gaming Machines. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Retro gaming machines are rising in value. Though prices might not be touching their original heights, the fact that they’ve started to expand rather than continue to decline is fascinating.

If you have any retro gaming machines in your attic or basement, it gives you the opportunity to make some money. It could act like a little gold mine for you.

Let’s take a look at how you can get profit from this.

What Systems Can You Sell?

The retro gaming machine market has tiers. Up at the top are original Apple computers, or the hugely successful Apple Lisa, which both bring thousands of dollars. But possibilities are you won’t have one of these. It’s far more likely you have consoles from Atari or computers from Commodore. Perhaps you may own some old Sega consoles or Nintendo. Can you list these systems on e-commerce websites and make it worth your while?

The Value of Old Gaming Systems:

The price of your old computers can go up as well as down. All it depends on is whether there is a market that accepts your old computers and is willing to pay you to get what it wants. So if you’re thinking to sell in this marketplace, it’s important to choose the right time. While we’re in the midst of a retro gaming nostalgia bubble, it’s reasonable to cash in.

Searching Retro Gaming Hardware:

If you don’t have retro gaming hardware hidden somewhere, what can you do? Sourcing retro hardware is easy if you know where to look for.

Hint: The best places are offline! Flea markets, Yard sales, charity/church shops, even there are people trying to offload their old gears. Some of this stuff can be selected up for pennies. But you need to be careful while trying. Some charitable institutions sell donated goods on eBay, so they’re very much aware of the value of their items. They’re dubious to reach the same price in a shop; you’ll although pay a bit more if you purchase the similar retro gear at any other store that doesn’t sell on eBay.

Newspaper classifieds are also a fabulous place to look for when compared to freecycling websites.

When you’ve found some retro gaming stock, it’s time to list it on eBay. Overall, stick to the usual steps, make sure to make your listing features clear, add attractive photos and a compelling title with an informative description. Also, research similar auctions to get an impression of the price you should set.

Are you thinking to sell your retro gaming system? Concerned about breaking up your retro collection? Let us know in the comments section about what you would do!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

33 thoughts on “How to Make Money by Selling Retro Gaming Machines?

1. Rebi says:

This is good, I hope I can find one for an increased income.

2. Kristel says:

It’s always nice to have information on how to gain more money. Making a habit not only into a leisure but also into money generating is the best of all. Thanks for giving us ideas.

3. Reham says:

While this is such an informative article, I don’t think it’ll work for me haha yeah, I’m concerned about breaking up my retro collection. I always love collecting things. They’re like proofs of the old times and fun memories. Just thinking about exchanging them for money makes me emotional haha but I’ll definitely share these ideas to my friends!

4. Aki says:

Thank you so much for this! I have no exact idea on what to sell and how to sell these retro consoles that I have. Although there’s not much money I could gain as I can only dispatch a few (some are very valuable for me), at least I have learned on making greater use of them.

5. Johnny Reyes says:

I totally agree that you can find retro gaming gems in flea markets! My partner and I recently unearthed our NES and guess what, it still works! So instead of buying online, we went to some of the nearest flea markets from our place and luckily, we were able to snatch about three games.

I’m pretty sure we have some retro gaming systems stashed somewhere in the house but I doubt I would want to sell them. Maybe because they have sentimental value and reminds me so much of childhood. It’s good to know that we could earn money in case we’d want to sell them though.

7. Edward says:

I always find some antiquity in the sales of garage, are perfect places to obtain for a very low price the treasures that others no longer want. Easy way to make money!

8. Mario says:

Some time ago I saw an old gamecube console in an auction of ebay for a very high price, that gave me the idea to look for mine and see in what conditions I was to obtain some profit, besides I could buy a damaged one, repair it and sell it, It was a big deal.

9. Maury Cheskes says:

Good to know. I wonder how much a GameGear would cost off a flea market and if people would still be willing to play it. There is some nice simplicity with older game consoles. The gaming still contains missions and story lines and the gameplay is way less complicated. It’s good to have a balance of the old and the new.

10. Doreen says:

The hard part here is the actual search. You have to go to flea markets, charity shops, auction houses, etc to look for one. But it’s fun too! Sometimes you end up with lots of things you didn’t expect.

11. Paz says:

Ebay is just one of the sites that sell retro stuff, there are lots more. I prefer the old-fashioned hunting at bargain shops and garage sales. As this is a computer (a console is a computer too), you have to test them first. So being able to physically check them is an advantage.

12. Andy says:

If you are planning to earn money by buying and selling retro gaming consoles, then you’d better source if offline than online. Cause the retro gaming consoles on the market are mostly used and rarely found in mint condition. And even if you do find it offline on some weekend garage sell, its better to test it to make sure its still working. For me personally the market is very limited, as more and more people are now playing retro games via emulator on their pc to get their nostalgia kick rather than buying an old console as it is much more practical.

13. Ice Queen says:

This will only work for collectors and such. For one I do not like buying games I would like it free as much as possible.

14. invisible woman says:

I do not know if this will work. But in these parts garage sale is common and games are included.

15. Salvador says:

I used to have nintendo gameboy sp. I gave it to my nephew. But if I still have it I will never sell it. But if the price is so high maybe I’ll change my mind.

16. Mark Anthony says:

I don’t have any console right now so I cannot sell anything. But I used to have some when I was a kid. I used to have gameboy and family computer.

17. Kelsey says:

I agree! The best places to find retro gaming machines are offline because I found mine at a yard sale. You just have to be very patient tho.

18. Many people would still pay a lot for an old gaming system. There’s gotta be some stores still carrying them around like Cash Converters. Golden Eye for Nintendo 64 is still unparalleled.

19. Top says:

I am thinking of selling my old GameBoy. I got it as a kid but it’s still in good condition. Any one interested?

20. Kirk Ydnar says:

Top what type of GameBoy you have? I’m just curious and how much is it? What are your games also?

21. Jennibee says:

When I was a kid I have so many family computer consoles because at that time consoles are so fragile. All wirings would fail like the connection of joystick to the console itself. And sometimes there would be problems with the wiring of console to the TV. It was such a pain in the ass at that time. Luckily consoles nowadays are very tough and high quality.

22. Enid says:

I wish I took care of our old NES console. I could have sold it a great price since there is a great demand for it these days.

23. Esperanza Khan says:

This is very helpful! I have a lot here at home and i honestly don’t know what to do with this

24. Abraham says:

Interesting post you have there.. I agree on this list. I’m sure it would be helpful to someone who’s looking to earn more cash by just selling old consoles or something. Kudos~

25. Lakshmi says:

I have Gameboy Color…do you guys think it will sell with a good price? I have some games with it too. I just don’t know how much is the actual price for it in the market right now. Any ideas?

26. Renzo says:

Is there a website that’s specifically selling old gaming stuff? I mean Ebay is kinda huge, so is Craigslist or Gumtree. I was thinking probably there’s a website that’s like a trading place of 80s or 90s consoles. So far I haven’t found one 😦

27. Myles says:

Yeah I’m thinking of that too Renzo. Maybe someone knows about it.

28. Chona says:

I remember playing brick games also. It’s the cheapest game console ever been created!

29. leo says:

Thanks for the tip! I’ve been meaning to sell my super mario gaming machine. It was actually my father’s and it is still working but I wanted to let go of it to clean up our garage.

30. brian says:

there was a big garage sale in the neighborhood last month and I saw some retro game consoles. But some of them aren’t working properly so I was thinking why sell it when it’s not even useful?

31. Klaus says:

What a great idea! I guess I need to search the attic later. Maybe there’s a retro gaming machine I can sell. $$$

32. Brandon says:

You never know what you’ll find at a garage sale, but I’ve had good luck finding retro gems at Goodwill. Craigslist is a good spot to get some quick cash for sure. Thaks