The Impact of Women On Gaming. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

The International Game Developer’s Association released a report showing the predominance of women in the gaming industry. The involvement of female developers has doubled since 2009, but there was still a vital male dominance in the field.

A History of Male Dominance in Gaming

In the previous times, games were developed by keeping males in mind. There were lots of games that featured a beautiful female who was in some trouble, and the main male character’s complete focus was to fight and scratch his way to her ultimate rescue. Then, he was rewarded with her everlasting love. Thankfully, that has begun to change.

Game developers have recognized that 44% of their customers are females and that to keep the playing field fair, they have to change their game play. With increasing female developers behind the scenes and women themselves playing up as players, a growing mindset towards women in the world of gaming is seen.

The Winds of Change

It’s been much time that women are actively participating in the game industry.  Many sides of what females in the gaming industry have experienced are shown by various reports and researchers. There has been both good and real change by involving women in the gaming industry. Some significant signs that change is already happening are becoming visible. Many companies are only investing in the tech industry where there is at least one female co-founder.

Intel has recently invested $300 million dollars towards female heterogeneity in the game division. They have also decided to double the number of women working as developers in the next decade. Some games themselves are now combining strategies in their programming to reduce gender bias in their communities.

Pay Equality: Male versus Female Developers

According to a study on pay equality, there is still a pay gap between female and male developers. The variation equals about 86 cents on the dollar women make for every dollar men make. One of the factors hypothesized to the pay gap is the assumption that women are likely to take breaks from their careers in order to take care of their families, which heads to lesser earnings over time.Government officials are working to close the gender pay gap. The average salary survey clearly showed the differences in pay. Men made an average of $88K while women only earned $75K on average. Clearly, this difference should not exist with the same education, responsibilities, and experience, but hopefully, in the coming time, this gap will no longer exist.

The Future is Bright

The future for female game developers is growing up in many ways. Thankfully, people are starting to look towards the future with successful women developers, and the work is in progress. Recently, the incoming class of gaming subjects was made up of more women than men. This shift in attitudes is a step towards the great start.

The tides are expectedly turning towards equality, and not just in gender for game development, but also for the gaming culture itself.

So what are your views about the involvement of women in the gaming industry? Share with us in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

50 thoughts on “The Impact of Women On Gaming

1. One of my favorite topics! Honestly, I think the industry is experiencing some growing pains in this area. While many people are on-board about women having a place in the industry, there is still inequality in the industry and in the gaming community. As we saw with things like Gamergate, there’s also a lot of folks who don’t believe that inequality is out there, and even some people (predominantly men, I’m afraid) who believe gaming is one last “safe haven” for men to exist without women “interfering.” So, I think the community is changing, and I definitely believe that the future is bright, but like with all big changes, there is some pain that’s sometimes involved!

2. Raphael Fabella says:

I think it’s a good thing that more women are getting into games. Games are meant for everyone, not just men. Though I understand if some female gamers are a bit hesitant to openly share the fact that they are female in online gaming. There are always those guys in the gaming world( which are a lot actually) that, as soon as they hear that a girl is playing in an online match with them, they lose their cool, trying to hit on them and even sexually harassing them.

3. Sangeeta says:

Hurray for women empowerment! Gaming industry has been traditionally male-dominated. But it shouldn’t be that way forever. Thank you for the companies who recognized the contributions of women in this industry throughout the years.

4. Kath says:

It’s been a while since Lara Croft was a hot copy. But I guess women participation in gaming has been in the background. Glad to know more and more talented women are in this industry! Cheers!

5. MIco Robin says:

How is this eve an issue ? I mean gamers are gamer women or not gender has nothing to do with this

6. Miaka Yuuki says:

To me women gamers are hot. and I mean that why cuz they prove that gaming should not be limited by sex

7. Ricardo says:

I didn’t know that there is a gap when it comes to the salary. You’re right this should not exist if both women and men have the same work and education.

8. Salvador says:

This article is so true. There used to be a time when men play games that you have to save a female character. But now we have to create games that are unique for both sexes.

9. Jan says:

Great article! The involvement of women in the gaming industry is a huge morale booster to women players as well because now more developers can see the perspectives of women players. Although the pay gap is still there, I am sure that women are happier to play games now knowing that some developers understand them better.

10. Pam says:

That’s amazing!! Women hold up half the sky indeed. It’s nice to know that women are making a big impact on a traditionally male-dominated industry.

11. Taki says:

Yay for girl power! I am glad women are making an impact on the gaming industry. This fact will totally shatter the stereotype that girls don’t play video games.

12. Maury Cheskes says:

I’m all for women having a bigger role in gaming. If games start to portray women in a more crucial and favourable light than there will be more women playing video games. It would also be a fun, interactive activity for men and women to engage with together.

13. Indira says:

There will always be a gender gap when it comes to salary. Even if a woman is in an executive position, her salary is considerably lower than average compared to men. Equality has still a long way to in a male-dominated industry such as gaming. I still have yet to see a woman take center stage at an international gaming conference.

14. Mansoor says:

Can we push this a bit further by including ALL GENDERS? What about LGBTQ representation in the gaming industry? Do we have anything on that? If we are for equality, then we shouldn’t limit ourselves to men and women.

1. glmathmagic says:

I agree. Sims 4 recently removed all gender restrictions on character building so a sim can have any kind of gender expression (or nonexpression) you wish. It’s great to see such an industry leader take that kind of step and I hope that attitude filters its way through to smaller studios too

I like the thought of having females in the industry! Hopefully, they’ll bring in more variations and fresh perspective to gaming in terms of storylines and other stuff.

16. Anthony says:

When I was in college I used to play Dota. The game consists of 10 players. One time a lady wants to play with us and we were shocked. That’s the first time we’ve play with a female gamer.

17. Buenacielle says:

But when it comes to competitive gaming I think men still holds it. Most female players play games like MMORPG and mobile app games.

18. Scott Summers says:

Yes I agree its still a male dominated field. However women has the chops to be in it so why nor.

19. Alex Summers says:

I say it before I say it again gaming knows no gender. However, it is us that labels it as such to me women or gay it does not matter.

20. Duncan says:

That’s some good news right there. It’s nice to know that women are being recognized for their contributions in the gaming industry.

21. Kitz says:

Women should be treated equally in all the aspects of life. Gone are the days where females are expected to stay at home. The involvement of women in gaming industry is a good way of showing the world that women has a lot to offer!

22. Anoop says:

Female developers should demand for equal pay. It’s just not fair that women are receiving less since they have the same workload as male developers.

23. Hafish says:

I agree with this article. More and more women are playing a big part in the gaming industry. Not only female gamers but those involved in the design and execution of the games. Applause for these women!

24. Aubrey says:

Great post! It’s good to know that the number of female developers are increasing. But clearly there’s still a lot to do because pay equality is still underway.

25. Sachiko says:

The title of this article is “The Impact of Women on Gaming” right? So what exactly has changed since more and more women are now in this industry? What is the impact? Pay equality? Games with a different perspective? I want your opinion guys…and girls.

26. Doomsday says:

It is exactly what it says. However I agree though gamers are gamers regardless of sex.

27. Cannonball says:

Gender equality is always an issue whatever field. Apparently even in gaming why cant we just enjoy?

28. Francing says:

Men and women’s salary should not be an issue. It should differ based on what they can do or not.

29. Lydia says:

It looks like female will love working at Intel. They will be treated equal there.

30. Kristel says:

Usually, computer games are associated with the male gender. Why so? Can’t women play video games? Lots of women lately are also hook to computer games.

31. Tin says:

I salute these women because they kick ass at work. My childhood dream was to become a developer so they’re living my dream job.

32. captain Ussop says:

So even in compensation there is an issue? That should never be the case.It should be on skill set rather than gender.

33. Sakura Kinomoto says:

i am a girl and a gamer not a bigshot of course !!! Still I love it when more women gets into these. Yes even women can love gaming.

34. Dodong says:

What have women done for the gaming industry, exactly? I guess this article would have done better service if it enumerated milestones or achievements, apart from that Intel byline. An updated article perhaps, SJE?

35. Teri says:

I’ve noticed that some games have changed perspective already. No more damsels in distress or princess in towers waiting to be saved! But I also wanna see an updated Lara Croft!

36. Tope says:

I want to see ladies competing in versus games like Dota 2. I think that would be fun to watch.

37. Josie says:

Tope so true. I haven’t seen any woman play Dota 2 in a competitive environment. I only know Sheever who is a female announcer of Dota 2. I want to see female gamers in action!

38. Toni says:

Whether its woman developer, or male developer, as a gamer/customer my hope is that they can all work together to provide a good game. And female involvement in video game industry is a good thing imho. More talents means more variety and good games,

39. Rebi says:

I really think that things like games shouldnt really about boys. Having fun in playing games is the most important. We can all enjoy something if all can actually take part.

40. Maiko says:

Well, I understand where this post is coming from. Gender inequality is not something you can get rid of easily from the society. This is always an issue on basically everything but what’s something good to look at is the changes. Females are slowly being recognized even at field no one would thought they can be involved, particularly on gaming. It’s not about gender, it’s about one’s idea, capability and competitiveness that matters, right? I am a girl and I always love to prove that there are a lot of things women are capable on doing more than what the majority of the population (male) has estimated.

41. Rae says:

I remember Super Mario and the main goal of saving Princess Peach. Everytime I play that game when I was little, as a girl, I do not understand why I need to save her haha There are also games in which you have to choose what your character will look like but the options are only boys. It’s not annoying, though. No one could stop me from playing

42. Cris Calagus says:

There is certainly no doubt that women have a place in the gaming industry! Heck, I have several cousins of mine who are really killing it when it comes to different video game genres. Wouldn’t it be great to see a tournament pitting men vs women? That would be fun to watch.

43. Rica Curza says:

Has there ever been a major tournament between men and women? I agree, that would certainly be fun to watch. It is quite easy for men to dismiss their female counterparts but they better be careful, as some of these girls can beat them to a pulp, regardless of the video game.

44. Its good to see women making a positive contribution to gaming industry. Looks very promising.

45. bealphagamer says:

Nice topic, I like it

46. I liked the article alot, I actually really like that girls are playing more games. Adds a new dynamic to gaming and make it much less of a dude fest. Reblogging on http://www.red5apps.com , thanks for the read.

47. Jamie Kehoe says:

This, right here, is important. Thank you for sharing.

48. glmathmagic says:

the irony is gaming didn’t become male-centric until the industry started marketing to kids instead of adults. Gender segregation is a huge money maker for the toy industry so video game producers had to choose a side. If we’re talking like Pong era gaming, many games were not only developed by women but marketed as a family or group activity for everyone