The Prime Cities for Game Developers. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Deciding what to do with your career is not the hardest part. But deciding where to do is the hardest! Since you have decided that you want to join game designing, now all you need to be sure of is where to do it. If you plan and choose to ask five different people, each of them would have a different answer. This is because they choose according to the parameters and their desires. Some would want to stay in their home city, while some want cities with exciting night lives, while others would want a quiet and clean city. Everyone has a different perspective in this case. They all have their merits and demerits such as the job opportunities, etc.

Now, where to look for it? The best thing is that game designing is all over the world. This gives you a lot of options. The main categories that students look for in a city before choosing it, are mentioned below:

• Developers and publishers
  • Mobile
  • Online
  • Virtual Reality

The main number we looked at listed the number of developers in a city. Based on the categories, the top 10 cities have been listed below by studio density:

1. London – It has 108 Studios in total. The London city is a good place and an attractive study destination as well. Even though people complain about the bad food and some restaurants, there are a lot of different cuisine choices and many other great restaurants in this place along with the vast number of Game studios. You are eventually bound to find something here.
  2. San Francisco – It has 107 studios and takes the second place. You can design games while enjoying the beautiful bay view.
  3. Tokyo – This might have been your guess as well that you would see this on the list since it is a hotbed for game designers. Well, it is not on the top, but at the third position. It has about 101 studios. It is not disappointing since, if you are looking for a dense city in an island nation, this is the best spot you can get!
  4. Paris – This is a town of hazelnut spreads and romance. The city is known for its love filled atmosphere and beauty. Other than that it has 85 game studios for those who love game designing.
  5. Austin – Now, this is the US where everyone wants to come at least once in their lifetime. But Austin, Texas falls under the 5th position here. It has 74 video game – oriented studios.
  6. Los Angeles – The double play or even back to back, whatever you want to call it. We stay with the USA at the 6th position as well. LA has an impressive 69 gaming studios.
  7. Seattle – The Hattrick! Well, US strikes again where Seattle has a total of 67 studios for gaming in it. The city is known for its continuous rains. So stay inside and get gaming here!
  8. Montreal – Now, we get to Canada, where Montreal is the next with about 58 studios.
  9. Vancouver – Based in Canada, Vancouver is another gaming station with about 54 studios overall.
  10. Toronto – The third and final in Canada is Toronto, which is a Game developer Haven. It has 38 studios, which is a far cry from the London’s 108 studios but is still has enough to make a list.

So, where would you hit into for your gaming career out of the cities mentioned above or do you have another city in mind which is greater than those mentioned above? Comment here and let us know your thoughts on it.

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

32 thoughts on “The Prime Cities for Game Developers

1. Cia says:

Very informative article. Thanks!

2. Stanley says:

Wow London holds the top spot eh? Who would have thunk it. I always thought US or an Asian country would be #1

3. Xiomara says:

If I were a game developer, I would go to Tokyo. After all, Tokyo is the birth place of major players like Nintendo, Sega and Sony so I would want to work for the very best.

4. Annabelle says:

Ofcourse Tokyo! haha. Tokyo is really awesome, with lots of animes and gamers.

5. KelvinLee says:

This is a nice list of places to go to. I love gaming. Helps me enjoy life more in my opinion.

6. Heidi says:

I was shocked that London is number one. I didn’t know that it has a thriving game industry. Well, I learned something new today.

7. alfred says:

Thanks a lot! This article really helped me in deciding where to start with my career. You just gave me an idea!

8. richard says:

For me, it all still depends on where you are comfortable working. But still, the location plays a big role in the making of any game.

9. Cheenah F. says:

The cities on this list are really good suggestions. However, I think as long as a place is comfortable and conducive for work, one can make progress in it.

10. I can’t believe Montreal and Vancouver placed higher than Toronto! Toronto’s such a metropolitan city. And I would have thought game development would attract a wider audience in L.A. than in London or Paris. I do think travelling a lot though is good for any game developer for them to gain creative inspiration.

11. Bertie says:

Interesting list! Never thought London would be on top. Also, if you refer to greater London in general, “London” is fine. The City of London is an actual city within central London (the City of Westminster, another city in greater London, is where most tourist attractions are located). We call it “the City” and I doubt if all of those 108 studios are crammed in one square mile. It is mostly known as the financial district of the metropolis.

12. Miles says:

No way! I thought SF or Tokyo would top the list. Surprised to see Paris on the list too. Curious, very curious.

13. Adonis says:

I’ve always thought Silicon Valley (in southern SF) would top the list! I certainly think it should. I mean, you can name a handful of popular game developers based in SF but you can’t do the same for those in London!! I’m absolutely shocked, to be honest.

Very informative especially for those who want to go to game development! It would be soo interesting to work in Tokyo. I think though that a lot of developers also work remotely so they are not necessarily tied up in a specific city.

15. Mort V. says:

Instead of talking about top places for game developers, wouldn’t it be better if you talk about top companies for game devs? If I were to go to these cities without any idea of the companies I need to apply for, it’d be a waste going there in the first place, don’t you think?

But hey, that’s just my two cents.

16. Dae says:

I’m a bit bummed that Tokyo isn’t number one on the list. I expected it to occupy the first place. It’s all good though.

17. Ando says:

I want London because of the cuisines. Not only you get to work there, you also get to experience the taste of their foods!

18. Angelica says:

I want to try Tokyo Japan. If we’re talking about food, they also have good ones. We can enjoy doing games as we eat!

19. Kasey says:

I’m going to Tokyo early next year! I’m so excited.. Hopefully I could find some good games I’d like to try.

20. Lillian says:

I would really love to try the whole virtual reality game… Seems very exciting and I want to know how scared my dad is gonna get if I let him try it on horror games!

21. Sloane says:

Whoa!! I did not expect to see Paris on this list. Aside from being the city of love, Paris seems to be the city of video games too.

22. Irfan says:

Shocked to see London on top! San Francisco has always been the mecca for game developers. What gives? London suddenly became attractive after Brexit? LOL!

23. Miaka Yuuki says:

I never knew Paris would be here. All I know about paris is fashion definitely not gaming.

24. LaBelle says:

Tokyo will always be my tech destination. It’s like a different world and one would think that people are developing new technology in every corner. Being greeted by a robot at the concierge really brings this out-of-this-world experience to a different level!

25. MIco Robin says:

I think whereever you are games are blossoming due to technology. ASide from very isolated places of course.

26. erika says:

Such awesome places. I never knew gaming developers do it in these countries. These are such amazing destinations.

27. tyson says:

These countries have such spectacular attractions that makes them conducive enough for game developers. For me, any place will do as long as you are comfortable to where you are staying.

28. Ando says:

All of those cities are remarkable. Having places that have good food make it more exciting to live on. This article made me smile.

29. Ydnar says:

I prefer to be at home with my family. But I would love to experience it too like for about five years then go back home.

30. Jenine says:

Awesome places. Would love to visit some of them especially Tokyo. Hello gamers of the world!

31. Marc says:

Seems like a difficult job with lots of work and time. Game developers I mean.. I love gaming

32. Piper says:

Yasss… Canada seems to be a force to reckon with since it occupied the last three spots. Way to go Canada!!