Things to Consider While Buying Gaming Headsets. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Are you looking for decent gaming headsets under your budget? Want to know what the characteristics of good gaming headsets are? To get a good gaming headset, you just have to know where to look, what to look for, and be willing to settle for less than perfect.

Firstly, you should know that a headset is nothing more than a pair of headphones with a built-in microphone. Secondly, there are no practical differences between a gaming headset and a regular headset except physical design and appearance. And thirdly, some features are more important than others.Here is the list of features that you should consider while buying gaming headsets.

Over-ear vs. on-ear vs. in-ear: Over-ear headsets are the only ones that you can get below the price level of $25. On-ear headsets cost more due to their subtle designs, and in-ear headsets won’t have the sound and microphone quality needed while gaming.

Physical Weight: A large headset feels good for about few minutes. After then, you’ll want to take them off, either because they’re making your neck tired or are pushing down on your ears. You may want a light and comfortable headphones, particularly for long gaming sessions.

USB vs. 3.5mm: USB headsets incorporate their own sound cards, and they’re less prone to the radio frequency interference. 3.5mm jacks are much better and better for console gaming. In the case of PC gaming, go with USB whenever possible.

Stereo vs. surround sound: Surround sound in gaming headsets is fictitious. Not only do most of the surround sound headsets lack the driver count to create the true surround sound, but it is intended to take advantage of room acoustics, something that you can’t get in a headset. On the other hand,  stereo drivers produce better quality than surround sound, so prefer going with them.

Build quality: When we talk about build quality, don’t expect anything that feels great on your head or in your hand. The ear pads won’t feel comfortable, metal components will be rare, the plastic won’t be strong or robust, and the cable will feel fragile. You can expect them to last for about 6 to 12 months, or slightly longer if you take good care of them.

Wired vs. wireless: For gaming, you can think of buying both wired and wireless headsets. You just need to consider your budget and the brand name.

So which headset are you using right now? Or tell us about the best gaming headsets you have owned in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

40 thoughts on “Things to Consider While Buying Gaming Headsets

1. Timothy Kerr says:

Good info.

2. Jeff says:

Great article! I prefer the over the ear headphones albeit they will cost a bit more. But hey I gotta be comfortable when I’m playing my games or it kills my whole mood. BTW you have some nice photos on your posts. Maybe you should think about putting a Pinterest button on them so they can be easily shared and more gamer enthusiasts will learn about your wonderful site!

1. Hi Jeff, thank you for the fantastic feedback. Have you tried the Pinterest button at the bottom of the post? Please let us know if it isn’t working as intended.

1. Jeff says:

Oh yeah, I see it now, totally missed that. But I was talking about a button that would appear right over your images. This is more effective and attention grabbing to get more pins. I’ve seen it on some other sites recently which is why I mentioned it to you. You might wanna check that out. Either way, keep up the great work:)

1. Will look into it Jeff. Thank you for the suggestion!

3. Toni Fontello says:

My grandson prefers over the ear headphones. He has one pair with a microphone for serious gaming and one without a microphone but has flashing lights! He wants to look cool yet not cost too much! I’ll seem to be more knowledgeable next time we go ear phone shopping because of this article!

4. Hannah says:

I go for quality headsets. It may be more pricey but it’s worth it. Cheap headsets get damaged easily and needs to be replaced often.

5. Dae says:

So true… Large headsets are heavy and uncomfortable. They give me a headache. I prefer light and comfortable headphones since I spend long hours playing games.

6. Peter Alvarez says:

Ah I’m learning. I didn’t know that USB headsets are better than 3.5mm. I’ll remember that, thank you!

7. Salvador says:

Thank you for this article. I’m learning a lot about gaming headsets. I have one which I’m very pleased with but it’s not USB type though.

I honestly haven’t thought much about headsets but I know some people are really picky about them. Your post gave me an idea what the differences are so at least I know what to consider once I buy one of my own.

9. Kevin says:

I am still a student so I can’t afford those high-end gaming headsets, even though I wish I could hahaha. That’s why I take care of mine to make sure it lasts for a long time.

10. Jhei says:

At home, I prefer to listen to my games via surround sound speakers. I simply prefer my movements to not be limited by wires or the bulky thing on my head. In public places, on the other hand, headsets are the obvious sound peripheral to use. The tips shared here are awesome ways to being able to purchase the really good ones.

11. Maury Cheskes says:

Good to be prepared with the best quality sound if you want to maximize on the gaming experience. Over ear is prime so the headsets don’t fall off when you’re playing.

12. roisterous says:

I can’t say that I currently own any. However, this guide will come in handy if I should ever decide to get a headset.

13. Marco says:

I knew there was something fishy about those “surround sound” gaming headsets that I was about to buy. It just doesn’t make sense because how can you take advantage of room acoustics when you’re using a headset right? Thanks for pointing this out!

14. Britney says:

True, there’s not much difference between a regular headset and a gaming headset. But the USB jack you have to take note. Because it really make s whole lotta difference if you’re using one with a USB jack!

15. Jack Juan says:

Great guide for those who are looking to get new headsets! I’m planning to get one soon and I’m keen on going for those wireless ones, since I’m looking for comfort and mobility.

16. Boulder says:

Do you know any websites that I can check out regarding purchasing headsets? I’m planning to buy one.

17. Milk says:

I play games sometimes so I need the best headset out there. Wonder where I can go and see some of the latest headsets out there?

18. Zach says:

I spend more time playing on my laptop than my smartphone or tablet. I guess I’m not a big fan of playing games on a small screen. USB headsets are much better for me in this case.

19. Scott Summers says:

Me I prefe an earpiece over a headset. Not only is it less bulky but portable. After all if it is just for gaming why spend more if you can spend less.

20. Chuck says:

It’s over-ear for me. Noise cancellation is big deal. I can’t be distracted when I’m playing!

21. Giannina says:

I’ve always bought wireless headsets. Less hassle when moving around. And I move around A LOT when I play. Plus there are more good brands offering wireless.

22. Alex Summers says:

I will have to agree with cyclops here lol. Why spend on a bulky headset if an earpiece would suffice? Unless you are a customer service representative or an online tutor then yes a headset is a must but we are talking about gaming so choose wisely.

23. Myles says:

My headset is getting old. I’m planning to purchase a USB type of headset since it says here that it have its own sound card. Very informative.

24. Remy says:

I wonder when they will be able to create a headset that is surround sound? That will be fun to have!

25. Thank you for the advice. Do you think bluetooth headsets are okay? Can you suggest a brand? Thanks!

26. ashlee says:

thank you for this post. i dont always look for the details as long as its stylish, but now i guess i have more to consider before purchase one

27. Corbin says:

The wireless ones have always been my preference. I really dislike the movement limitation that the wired ones come with. Only hope batteries that can last longer will be invented very soon.

28. Ethan says:

Before I only considered the number of decibels when buying headphones, but your options when making a purchase are very useful to get something that I do not regret later, thank you very much for the information!

29. Zack says:

I hate the pain I feel in my ears with some headphones, I prefer the ones that are bigger and cover everything so I do not hear any external noise while I play and don’t hurt me

30. I think surround sound combined with the 4D gaming will give you the true optimum experience. If you’re a gaming junkie why not go all out and make the experience feel surreal.

31. Marco says:

Thank you, this is very educational. I always thought that gaming headsets are different from the standard one. Now I don’t have to fuss about looking for “gaming” headsets. Just buy one that suits me.

32. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

As for me i do not really see the need of headsets in gaming. Particularly if It is just gaming no tournament what so ever. But I am not against it either.

33. Kyo Kusagi says:

I do not prefer headsets. Particularly those who are loose on your head its a bother keeping them up.

34. alfred says:

Now I have an idea on how to choose the headset that fits me. Thanks a lot for this article. It really helped me.

35. Lucy says:

I have two headsets but both of them have jack plugs. I wanted to experience USB type of headset.

36. Maria says:

My headset is failing. I’m hearing the magnets inside the headset whenever I move. Do you guys know any store that sells cheap headsets?

37. Mika says:

I’m currently using a wired headset but I really want to try the wireless one. I don’t know if it’s just me but I find wireless headsets so cool.