Game Development and Animations Video Blog

Does 4K Matter For Video Games? Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

You must have heard about the 4K Resolution. 4K resolution is a big trend in gaming right now. It is the next step forward. If you hear people talking about Ultra HD, don’t be misled. 4K and Ultra HD are the same things. They are just two marketing terms for the same things. The video industry appears to have decided on calling it “4K Ultra HD” or simply “4K”. In 4K, the width and height of an ultra HD image are precisely twice as large as those of a 1080p image, so the resolution of 4K Ultra HD video is 3,840 by 2,160 pixels.

The resolution that a game can draw out strictly depends on the power of the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit), which is fixed by the developers of console games. Most PS4 games run in original 1080p resolution, while many Xbox One titles run at a lower resolution which the console can upscale to 1080p.

Remember that if you are running a game at 4K, you would require a console to generate four times as many pixels as a 1080p image. There’s no way either of the systems could handle this task easily. Gaming in native 4K resolution is such a challenge that you’ll need a dual-GPU setup if you want to hit 60 fps reliably. If you are on the PC gaming side, you’ll need the latest graphics cards to achieve a reasonable frame rate, i.e., 30 frames per second at 4K.

Your monitor and graphics card are the biggest factors in 4K gaming, but depending on your current setup, you may need to upgrade some other components as well. And the most important upgrade would be your power supply. With such powerful graphics cards, your computer’s processor might become a bottleneck which means that there’s a possible chance that your CPU can’t pass instructions to your GPU fastly, resulting in decreased frame rates.

Hence, if you are getting into 4K gaming, get ready to be propelled by the plummeting costs of monitors and the onward march of graphics technology.

So do you own a 4K setup? Or are you interested in buying it? Let us know in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

26 thoughts on “Does 4K Matter For Video Games?

1. Buddy says:

Do you know the price range of 4K nowadays? I want to experience high definition type of game. That should be fun!

2. Spike says:

If you have 4K, you will definitely enjoy your game more. Do you know any site or place that sells cheap 4K’s?

3. Kevin says:

Of course, having a 4k television matters for video games. It’s the future of gaming. Pretty soon video games will start supporting 4k resolution. I’ll patiently wait for that day.

4. Ninjakid says:

If I have the money I’ll definitely buy it. I want to experience what it feels to have a 4K.

5. Eggy says:

How I wish 4K will be cheap. Of course for now it’s gonna be pricey. I’ll better wait for it to decrease it’s price.

6. Leila says:

Next year there’s gonna be new tech that will trump 4K. And you still haven’t got the money to buy 4K yet LOL! So please, save yourself from bankruptcy and just be contented with what you have. Upgrade only when necessary!

7. Jessa says:

Wow I didn’t know 4K and Ultra HD are the same thing! Thank you for bringing it up. I hope the industry will regulate these terminologies so it’s all not confusing because salespersons will use these to trick customers to buy them under the impression that it’s better than the other when in fact they’re the same!

8. Denzel says:

I’d like to experience playing the old RTS games on a monitor like that! Just imagining it already excites me.

9. Myk Nieta says:

Now I didn’t know 4K and Ultra HD are one and the same! 4K does sound very interesting, especially if you want to take your gaming experience to the next level. My problem now is, do I have the funds to take the next step?

10. Roddy Wilkens says:

If you’re a pro gamer, setting up a 4K resolution can absolutely enhance your gaming experience. It isn’t cheap paying for such an upgrade but, it’ll be worth it once you see how the visuals are unparalleled.

Gaming isn’t the only thing that can be improved by 4K upgrades, though. Streamed videos look so much better and clearer with 4k!

11. Iago says:

If you ask hardcore gamers if they wish to try 4K, I’m sure they would all say Yes. Who wouldn’t? 4K offers the best gaming experience ever.

12. Scott Summers says:

AS long as the visuals are good its okay for me. High end stuff does not need to be so high end if you can play.

13. Alex Summers says:

Not to sound dumb here but what is this 4K? TV Computer specs

14. Toni Fontello says:

It’s not so simple anymore just to play video games and deal with how clear the picture is. Now with this 4K with more pixels will mean clearer, brighter, more realistic views. Ultimate gamers will love this!

15. roisterous says:

Possibly with the 4k technology available now, that will become the standard in the not too distant future. I suppose to feel drawn to getting one now, you’d really have to use your television a whole lot; with either gaming or watching movies. It is good to know though that 4k and ultra hd are the same thing, retailers may use the different labels to charge even more money for a specific item.

16. Maury Cheskes says:

I think it’s very cool to incorporate 4K into gaming. If you get the chance to be totally immersed with real effects that heighten your senses it will add a huge element of excitement and adrenaline when playing fast paced games. Could be the way of the future.

17. I agree with Jhei; a game’s graphics don’t make or break a game (or even movie) experience. The story and characters can be conveyed with awful graphics. There are so many types of art styles, too… I’m not sure 4K is necessary. But if that’s your thing, Sony has you covered with the PS4Pro, I suppose!
    To answer the question, no, I don’t have 4K, and no, I don’t plan on updating anytime soon, especially without seeing all this technology in action. But this is a great article an completely relevant! Thanks for posting 🙂

…and I wouldn’t mind TV prices falling. I’m still playing on an old tube TV and would love something that would show the text on my RPG games a little more clearly!

18. Jhei says:

4K resolution huh? It is quite an experience to play games with such vividness. Then again, not all games require that to be playable. A game can be graphically ancient but does not mean people won’t enjoy it. The fun factor still rules when it comes to games. At least, in my humble opinion.

19. Hannah says:

It would be so nice to play video games in 4k resolution. However, the reality is current consoles don’t run in 4K yet so it’s still a dream for now.

20. Virginia says:

I didn’t know that 4K and Ultra HD were the same thing. Thanks for sharing this information!

21. Safwan Awang says:

I agree that 4k resolution for playing video game is important. However, the cost is high and sometime need to upgrade little by little to ensure the goal for playing game in 4k is achieve following the hardware that stated in the article.

22. Chie says:

This post makes owning a 4K setup sound interesting! I mean I would considering getting one if I have the funds. 😉

23. Dae says:

Nah… It’s too expensive. I can’t afford to upgrade everything for 4k gaming.

24. Jea says:

I totally agree with Chino. Most hand held devices aren’t capable of these resolutions, or an adapter is still needed.

25. Josh says:

All these new technology is confusing to me. I just want to play games. I like what I have right now and I am hesitant to upgrade because of the same reasons that the article discussed. But I’ve seen 4K TV and I was blown away! Just wow!

26. Chino Pacia says:

This is the thing with technology. A company comes up with a new standard, and people buy it because it’s the latest. But what they didn’t know is that the other appliances they will connect it to isn’t up for the task. That’s the reason why I’m not an early adopter.