4 Ways Gamers can Contribute to Charity. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Do you know that as a gamer, you can make a substantial difference in the world? Yes, it’s true and quite possible. There are a plenty of ways in which gamers can make a difference in the world. From hosting their own Twitch charity fundraisers to buying games through Amazon Smile and HumbleBundle. It’s very simple and won’t cost any more money than you’re already spending. This is what you need to know:

1. HumbleBundle: Buying Games, Giving to Charity: Since 2010, HumbleBundle has allowed people to buy bundles of indie and AAA titles for a fraction of what they should cost. When you choose to donate to charity with HumbleBundle, it will go to one of the organizations chosen by them. The organization changes on a weekly basis. You can also choose to send a share of your payment to a charity of your choice. There are thousands of US and UK based nonprofit organizations to choose from, including every charity that’s enrolled with JustGiving. You don’t either need to buy bundles. The Humble Store sells pretty much everything that is available on Steam. You are not allowed to choose the percentage that goes to the developer. HumbleBundle automatically donates 10% of the purchase price to your nominated charity.
  2. Twitch: The urge to watch other people play video games has turned Twitch into one of the greatest websites in the world. Streaming has been trending and become a cottage industry for many streamers. It shouldn’t come as a surprise when these platforms are used to support for charity. It has raised almost $8 million for charitable causes by members of their community which is incredible.The way it works is pretty easy. A Twitch user will host a stream, and ask for donations during the broadcast. The donations received are then sent to a specified charity. Some streamers also donate the advertising profits from their broadcast.
  3. Amazon Smile: Amazon is a cheaper online retailer when compared to others. It is much more convenient than heading to the shops for buying RAM or new SSD. So, why don’t you donate some of the money you spend to a charity of your choice? You can opt in for Amazon Smile. It is a program that shares about 0.5% of each eligible sale with a charity that you chose. Many major charities are included in the program, and 0.5% doesn’t even sound like much.
  4. Get Well Gamers: It is specially made for donating your old hardware to hospitals. If you have stacks of old and well-cared for hardware or you are getting a new console, it is always a better option to donate the used ones to charity. Get Well Gamers accept donations of consoles, games, and accessories. The collected hardware and accessories are then donated to hospitals, who don’t have the budget for such things. If you are living in the USA, Get Well Gamers will even give you a receipt, allowing you to write your donation off on your taxes.

Have you ever contributed to charity while indulging in your hobby? Let us know in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

28 thoughts on “4 Ways Gamers can Contribute to Charity

1. Terry Poage says:

I didn’t know this. I will look into these places, thanks.

2. Marianne T says:

I’ve heard of Twitch but not of the other three. These are good to know and I will keep them in mind!

3. Hafish says:

Wow this is something nice. I didn’t know gamers can do something like this. Well, even in our own way we can give to charity, but being able to give back while enjoying the things we like is a win-win for me!

4. Jasper says:

In this age where technology advances in leaps and bounds, we tend to upgrade our hardware more often than say, five or seven years ago. But even then, me and my friends would always donate our old hardware to charitable institutions, foster homes, halfway houses, etc. It really feels good.

5. Jea says:

I’ll definitely look at HumbleBundle. Hopefully, it their benefactors are legitimate and not scammers.

6. dailygravure says:

I have first read about Amazon Smile on Reddit. Since then, I’ve been using it every time I purchase something on Amazon. It feels good to give back to charity.

7. Safwan Awang says:

Interesting! I did not even know that watching video through Twitch could also help contributing to the charity. Its good if many other platform of games may contribute some of the profit to the charity too.

8. Virginia says:

HumbleBundle! Just the name itself makes you want to consider them. I’ll keep them in mind in case I need to purchase something.

9. Chie says:

I’ve purchased from Amazon Smile before! I didn’t know they were into charity though. Keep it up!

10. Hannah says:

I like HumbleBundle because I can donate to a charity of my choice. They also offer great deals on my favorite games and books.

11. Jhei says:

Those are really nice suggestions. However, a gamer does not necessarily need those organizations to give to charity. One can just go with what they are more comfortable with. I’m a gamer and I prefer Libraries on Wheels and Habitat for Humanity.

12. Maury Cheskes says:

Sounds like a noble cause. Legitskies

13. roisterous says:

I’ve personally used amazon smile in the past. As far as the others are concerned, I have neither heard of them nor used them. It’s good information to know though.

14. Toni Fontello says:

What a great way to enjoy a modern past time and help others. And it’s tax deductible!

15. Scott Summers says:

It does not ned to be expensive. I mean anything coming from your heart is good enough.

Awesome post! Good to know that there are charities like these. You get to have fun (playing, watching people play, etc) but at the same time help other people, too.

17. Alex Summers says:

That is my point, you do not need tv nor organizations to do charity. Help is best given unconditionally

18. Iago says:

Thanks for posting this article. Christmas is just around the corner so I was wondering what I can do for the less fortunate.

19. Alala Kopec says:

I’m a photography enthusiast and an occasional gamer in my free time. I usually donate some of my shots to fundraising galleries but I never knew that I could also be extending a hand while playing video games! Making a difference doesn’t get any easier than these initiatives!

20. Heidi says:

Gamers can also participate in St. Jude’s Hospital’s “Play Live”. It’s a great event where they can play their fave games live to help raise funds for kids with cancer.

21. Julius Onseto says:

I wouldn’t really call myself a hardcore game, since I’ve been in and out of the gaming world. But this one has totally got me mind-blown! I didn’t know I could help out worthy causes by through gaming. Perhaps it’s time that I got back to playing.

22. Jhei says:

I like HumbleBundle. The ideas that led to the making of some of the indie games there is really quite fascinating. Although, I prefer donating my expertise over donating cash. It’s just more personal that way…

23. Rina says:

We always give our old hardware to charity shops. Now these are not 80s or 90s computer I’m talking about. More like 10 year old gadgets. You can’t throw them away, can you? So be a good citizen/gamer and donate!

24. Celine says:

I find those ads on video streaming very annoying. However if they are for charity, I suggest to place it a corner that does not block the view.

25. Ricardo says:

This is a noble article. I love that we can play our favorite game while helping those that in need. I like this article.

26. Salvador says:

This topic is amazing. It’s fun that we get to play or watch games while helping charities at the same time. I’ve experience twitch and it was fun to see myself playing while watching myself at the same time. Twitch is very cool indeed.

27. I would like to add the dangers to be aware of when giving to charity so that it can be most helpful and healthy

28. homemadecompassion says:

I’m really feeling in a charitable mood. Good timing on this post my friend.