Influential People Involved in the History of Video Games. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

We all know that making a video game takes a whole team of people. Everyone, from the director to the testers, plays an essential role in turning out a high-quality video game. There are artist, coders, voice actors, and many other people working together towards a mutual goal of bringing a quality video game into the market, and achieving success in both critical approval, and sales.

However, there is always a single person who leads the development of video games. His opinions are very helpful in pushing everything forward, and with his leadership and motivation he keeps the team together and moving towards the goal. Some of these leaders stand at the top and some of their ideas have even gone on to change the history of video games completely. Without their visionaries, we wonder where the gaming would have been today. Here are some of the leaders who have given a lot of contribution to the video game industry.

Shigeru Miyamoto: While making the list of the most influential people in video games not including Miyamoto would be a mockery against gaming and humanity. He is largely responsible for video games. After all, he is the man behind one of the most successful video games Mario. It is the highest selling video game franchise in history. Shigeru Miyamoto’s contributions to the RPG genre and his overall importance to Nintendo as a company are beyond comparison. Without his vision, video games would have been wholly different today. He is a living legend in the world of video gaming.

Hideo Kojima: Hideo Kojima makes his name on this list because of his amazing contributions in making the video games more cinematic. His major series, Metal Gear, produced cut scenes in the games to a level that was not seen before. The action games produced by him are the best stealth action games. His contributions played a major role in blowing up PlayStation and reach all the way back to the early days of gaming.

John Carmack: Do you know the man responsible for taking video games into the world of 3D? John Carmack is the man behind making the modern consoles. He is one of the most technically proficient video game developers in history. He showed the world that video games could be more than just side scrolling platformers. He is also known as the godfather of the modern first person shooter. John Carmack’s contributions also stretch into the world of user-modified games.

Will Wright: He is one of the video game creators who brought the gaming to the masses. Will Wright thought about video games in a different way than most of the people in the late 80s. Instead of thinking about dying and surviving, or winning and losing, Will Wright thought about just playing. Instead of trying to “beat the game”, he understood that there are people who just want to play a game for fun. Will Wright is one of the most influential people in video games whose contributions are still felt today.

Do you know any other influential people related to video games? Tell us in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

18 thoughts on “Influential People Involved in the History of Video Games

1. Stanley says:

How can you forget Sid Meier’s Civilizations!!! I think that name should also be on the list. Good list otherwise.

2. sheila amelia says:

Super Mario!! Who doesn’t love a good Super Mario game =) I can still hear the music in my ears. This is a good list but there are more people who may be mentioned here. Some other good games are like Counter Strike and Half Life.

1. mark says:

Man member the good old days when my friends and I used to network together for Counter Strike. Games these days are good but still nothing like the good old days.

3. Leila says:

Super Mario rules! Japan tops the video games list. Did they invent video games? I can’t think of any other country or personality whose influence is as wide as Japan in the gaming industry. Cheers to these people!

4. Marcus says:

Who developed Atari? That guy is revolutionary. The Steve Jobs of the gaming industry back then. We should be thankful to these people on the list also because they paved the way for years and years of epic gaming!

I can’t help but notice that the image has an American flag when 2 out of 4 in the list seem to be Japanese (I’m Asian so it catched my eye right away)! Nevertheless, thanks for the post. Visionaries sometimes get bumped in the background when they changed the world in their own little way.

1. arakadi says:

I’m Japanese and I’m not offended by it. I think the symbolism is that maybe now most top tech/gaming companies are from the U.S, but there is not doubt that Japan is the mother and father of the today’s gaming.

6. angel says:

Kojima is almost synonymous to metal gear so I agree. Hopefully my name will be in there in the future.

7. canonnball says:

Yeah japan is the mother of most if not all games. But it is just a flag what matters are the cast.

8. Windelle Rosles Castillo says:

This article is a source of knowledge to those who had been playing video games for a long time and yet know nothing about the influential people in the history. These influential people should be paying a tribute knowing how much they had been contributed.

9. Hannah says:

Shigeru Miyamoto is a living legend. Without him, iconic games like Super Mario, Donkey Kong and the Legend of Zelda won’t even exist.

10. Collin says:

Wow I’m learning a lot from this article. So they are the creator of Mario and Metal Gear. I love Metal Gear. I was hooked by it when I was a kid back then.

11. Jessica says:

So Shigeru Miyamoto started the game industry. Yes, Mario was the best game ever created. Because of that, games continue to exists.

12. Dae says:

Kudos to these people. They really paved the way for the video game industry to be what it is now.

13. Safwan Awang says:

I do admire those influential people, without their contribution I do not think that we can get to know the thrill of playing games. For instance, the mario game is really interesting. Even it look like a simple game, but it sure fun and make me feel happy to play it. Cheers to the creator and developer of games!

14. Piper says:

Hironobu Sakaguchi is also one of the most influential people in the history of video games. He is the creator of Final Fantasy. My life would have been so boring without Final Fantasy.

15. Salvador Floresca says:

Do you know who created Final Fantasy? I’m a fan of that game. It have a lot of versions and I love it a lot!

16. Ricardo Zulueta says:

My favorite game of all time is Warcraft III. Who created that game? And I’m also addicted to Tekken.