The Demanding Role of Character Animation In Video Games. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Video Games have certainly evolved since the ages. Back in those days, people were comfortable and loved playing the two-dimensional sports game that resembles table tennis. However, nowadays, Gamers demand increasingly more mesmerizing gaming experience, one that the industry is continually seeking to meet.

Character animation is used by almost every video game today. It has become an essential element in modern entertainment software. Today, gamers find themselves in entirely accomplished CG worlds, competing in complex missions with more believable characters. This is where character animation comes into play. By creating greater affinity for the character, gamers become more engaged in the game. The uniqueness of gaming, when compared to other media, is that one does not just relate to the hero but become the hero.

As technology has become more advanced and sophisticated, game developers are using more complex characters that allow the gamer to fully connect with the game, thus giving them a mesmerizing gaming experience.

Programmers are continually looking for various ways to advance artwork so that they can fit into the allowed budget. There are new engines, new ways of exploring animations and exporting more artwork onto a disk more efficiently recently. The result is very fruitful for the gamers as they can now have more than one character on the screen at once, improved detail in scenery, additional travel beyond the world origin, and more refinement in the character itself.

Imagine if the character doesn’t care about proceeding through the levels, then why would the gamer care? When a character animator designs a character, he keeps in mind that the gamers should feel the character. They should be able to feel what the character is thinking, what are the character emotions and understand what motivations are behind their actions. The technology makes it available for greater subtleties within the character’s design and gives animators more space and time for conveying their thought and emotion through the character.

Hence, if the character animators can get your audience to empathize with a character, they will follow you and the game till the ends of the earth.

So which is your favorite character? Let us know in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

23 thoughts on “The Demanding Role of Character Animation In Video Games

1. Ester Van Adelbert says:

Video games have difinitly improved so much since when I played when I was small. I saw my grandson playing and I am amazed at the graphic quality. I wish I am young again so I can enjoy the wave of virtual technologies that comes now everywhere! but you are correct, there is so much work done behind the scene and those hard work people are not given the credit they deserve. People just play games and they forget but I imagine the proudness the programmer must feel for the accomplishment when they finish the product. I know I feel great when I make my currywurst because it is fantastic lol

2. Jacque' says:

The wife and I really love this blog and appreciate the creativity and useful information you provide. If you decide to take this blog to the next level by offering a Mobile App version my company Zenlight could provide service for an extremely low price, we appreciate the hard work you have put into this blog and wish you all future success in business and in life.

Thank you for your time, it is the most precious thing we all possess.
    -Jacque’

3. Britney says:

So where is character animation headed next? Characters are more life-like now, very real. What is there left to improve?

4. Celine says:

Technology has indeed rapidly improved character animation in the last five years. Gamers have become more demanding and are easily dissatisfied with dull animation even if the game is good. Those NBA games still need lots of improvement. Actually most sports games do.

5. Nichole says:

It’s really exciting to see how character animation had evolved over the years. I can’t wait to see how it would look like in the next coming years. This can be a big challenge to all animators out there.

6. Mick Montalbo says:

I have seen how video games evolved over the past decade or so. From the SNES to PS1 to PS4 graphics. Case in point? the NBA 2k franchise. The graphics in the PS3 and PS4 editions are truly phenomenal and are life-like, if you ask me.

Video games have definitely come a long way. I don’t have any favorite characters but I remember loving the Tekken cast.

8. Hannah Mae Cortes says:

I totally agree with you. Character animation has really improved a lot and I think we have got to thank Japanese game developers for that. Japan has really pushed the envelope when it comes to character design and animation in video games.

9. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

I know someone that does animations. It took him 400 hours just for a few seconds of it. I salute the people who does this as a job.

10. Kyo Kusagi says:

Speaking of life like characters. Nothing neats Final fantasy franchise that Advent children movie was wow.

11. Jess eroles says:

As a gamer I feel more engaged in playing a video games with good graphics, good animations and good story line. More gamers like me prefer high quality animation due to the available graphics capability of today’s gaming consoles and computer graphic system. I mean, why not make the most of it?

12. Kath says:

I salute video game animators! How they make all these characters more realistic is a very tedious process and definitely no walk in the park despite years of experience. And with new technology, they always find themselves challenged to adapt and learn, so it’s a never ending process of learning. All these to bring our favorite characters to life!

13. Finn says:

I notice that when there’s a movie based on a video game, the animation is better. Do movie animators utilize a different technique or approach to animation than their video game counterparts?

14. keeaye says:

Video game characters has since become realistic compared to when I was a kid.The images nowadays gives the player complete immersion within the game

15. Maria Cruz says:

I was addicted to Digger and PacMan back in the days. Then came Tetris and I was hooked on that one, too. Nothing as amazing as the video games of today. Hence, I will not start for fear of getting sucked into playing non-stop.

16. Frank Ritualo says:

I still couldn’t get over how Sony conceptualized and created the characters in the God of War franchise. From the hero Kratos, down to the bosses and their minions, all of them were designed perfectly, and you could really feel that you are the one living out Kratos while playing the game. Superb!

17. ezzrayyan says:

Agreed. The quality of graphics and animations of the video games really improved a lot. As a gamer, I would not hesitate to pay extra cost to get the quality games which also give you a realistic feel when paying it.

18. Francis238 says:

Almost every sensational games on steam like CoH, Dawn of War 4k and BF1 has outstanding animation effects. CoH one of my favorite RTS, has a very engaging animation and SFX that makes it, to my opinion, one of the best world war game in the RTS genre.

19. Magneto says:

The Question regarding quality in terms of movies and video games is timely. For example, Dragonball Super its animation quality sucks earlir compard to movies and dames. Thankfully they adressed that problem.

20. mystique says:

If normal animations takes 400 hours in just 15mins of movement. How much more in games? No wonder these guys takes a break often.

21. Safwan Awang says:

I can understand the feel of those gamer creator, they need to make sure everything fall as required and which can place the long-lasting memory to the gamer.

22. Miaka Yuuki says:

Todays games are a notch higher compared to old ones. However classics are classics because they have withstood the test of time,

23. MIco Robin says:

The trend of realistic animations will continue. With that said I want a solid vision yugioh game