Video Game Designer vs Developer. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Are you Confused choosing your career between video game designer and developer? These two jobs may sound similar, but in reality, they have entirely different roles filled with various types of thinkers. So there’s a good chance for you to draw one specialty over the other.

Let’s dig in and find out what the video game designers and developers do:

Video Game Designer: In the video game industry a game designer is a creative and artistic person who dreams about the overall design of the video game. Basically, it means that designers are the people who create the initial framework for the final product. Since this work is supposed to be completed far ahead of everything else in the production cycle, so amazing work is expected to build the game.

Depending on the company, there can be a team of designers which may work on only one particular aspect of the game. This is because a team can complete the specific tasks much faster than a single person concentrating on one thing at a time.

The exact characteristics that make a complete game design project can vary considerably depending on the genre of the game.

Video Game Developer: This phrase is the real cause of much confusion between game designer and developer. In the correct context, a video game developer is a person or a group of people who transforms the ideas and purposes of the design team into the actual game. In other words, the main job of the game developer is to turn a vision into a reality.

The thing is, no matter how impressive the game is, the designer anticipation doesn’t just go from a bunch of drawings, concepts, and rules to being a playable video game on its own. The developers’ job is to convert the layouts, sketches, and storylines into a playable product.

They succeed in this by writing  hundreds or thousands of lines worth of computer code, which accurately perform what the designer had in mind. Luckily, the development teams need not to build all of this code from scratch.

So the video games we play today are designed and implemented by a team of designers and developers. Both the fields are a great career option. You can choose them according to your interests.

Let us know your field of interest in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

22 thoughts on “Video Game Designer v/s Developer

1. Frank says:

Both video designer and developer sounds very interesting. Quite honestly, I don’t know which one I’d like best at this point. Something to think about!

2. Avery says:

I like the idea of designer. I am good at coming up with initial ideas but then need help seeing them through. Therefore, I think I would work well with a team of designers if I decided to enter into this field.

3. Fredric91 says:

I see your site is in the same niche like my page. Do you allow guest posting?
    I can write high quality & unique posts for you. Let me know if
    you are interested.

4. Mansoor says:

So who makes the video game concept? I thought it’s the developer who conceptualizes first then passes it to the designer to make the framework of the game. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

5. Chantal says:

I’m gonna be a designer. I’m a creative person and I like the process of bringing a concept to a tangible reality. I’m an artist btw, so this is a no-brainer for me.

6. Eduardo Bernal says:

To be honest I’ve always wanted to work in the gaming industry. And I had the doubt about what was a Designer and a developer, I just didn’t see the difference until now. Thanks to this article I think I’ve decided which career is better for me. I mean, both are great and such a necessary part of the progress of making a new game. I love video games. And making one has been always my dream.

Thanks for differentiating the two. I’ve always thought developers are much more technical than designers, usually probably need a Computer Science degree. Designers are more involved in the visual aspect and overall look of the product as well as the storyline, I’d assume having any degree related to arts will do.

8. Peter says:

So that’s the difference between the two. For me they work together hand in hand, The designer initiates the game and the developer transform the game in reality.

9. Sam says:

I prefer to be a developer because I’m more of a creator kind of person. Being a game designer is hard because you have to have many ideas in order for you to create a game.

10. Weng Dale says:

I work in an IT company (not as IT personnel) and yet I still confused as to these two tittle. Thank you for this. Finally, I could distinguish which one is which. Furthermore, I become more interested into this kind of job and maybe someone I would had a chance to pursue my interest.

11. Maury Cheskes says:

I think a video game designer could be anyone with an imagination while a video game developer must be someone with strong programming skills. I’m sure they’re are good schools that specify on the process of developing the codes and layouts for video games.

12. Hamad says:

Let’s take the case of Saljack Ent…the ones who do the drawings here are the designers, yes? But before they do renders, who gave them the idea to draw those things? To put it simply, who does the storyline?

1. The story writing team 🙂

13. Britney says:

Thank you for clarifying this, These two terms get interchanged a lot in forums. Who’s who, who did what, who gets credit, etc. I think that most basic difference here is that one is artistic and the other is a techie.

14. Raymon says:

I see interesting posts here. Your website can go viral easily.

15. Ice Queen says:

Designer vs Developer is like an architect vs an engeneer, I guess the point is both awfully similar to each other more like brothers.

16. Miaka Yuuki says:

the job boundaries within the two is unclear to many so I understand the confusion. Me I am confuse of who does who is at the helm for a specific game?

17. Colby says:

Thank you for this because now I know the difference between a developer and adesigner. It gets confusing but now I know the difference. I actually have an idea of a game so I prefer to be a game designer.

18. Maria says:

I want to be a developer because i like to do things that is already set to do. Unlike being a designer you have to create refreshing ideas. What if your not that creative, your game will not be enjoyable to play at all.

19. Cody Jones says:

Nice article! My youngest brother is very much into video games and is planning to take a career path into the gaming industry. Will share with him this blog, though I think he’s more inclined to becoming a game developer than a designer, since he’s more into the techie, nitty-gritty side of things.

20. MIco Robin says:

So in essence, designers paves the way in creation of games. While developers are in charge of the meat that makes a game tick.

21. Machwind2012 says:

Thank you so much for clearing the air. I for one in the longest time is also confused. Now, not so much.