Security and Malware Threats For Gamers. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Are you worried about the gaming scams? As the gaming industry continues to expand, the hackers and the scammers are getting the chance to steal your cut of the pie. So don’t become a victim! Stay alert, smart and protected against the security and malware threats with these following tips:

Spoofing & Phishing: The idea behind spoofing is somewhat unknown to the average gamer, but yes, there is a good chance that you must run into it at some point.  In short, spoofing is a common term for “trickery by an image or a picture” such as phishing. It is a scamming technique that includes copycat websites or fraudulent URLs as a way to trick users into entering login credentials that can be gaming accounts or credit card numbers. Spoofing techniques are becoming more advanced these days.

Phishing is very successful done in emails, so get information about the email security tips and never click links given on your email directly. If you’re asked to log in by a company, always type in the website’s URL by hand.

Malicious File Downloads: Do you know what is the worst thing prevailing on the Internet? It is Malware! It is a difficulty that can steal away your precious time as you remove it. At worst, it can damage your device, causes you to lose important data, or it can even rob your identity. And Keyloggers is the worst kind of malware to contract. It is a program that sits in your device’s background and records your keystrokes that can be sent to the remote server for report summary. In reality, keyloggers are basically used to steal usernames, passwords, credit card numbers, and more.

Always install free antivirus program and be sure to follow the common security tips for avoiding malware downloads. Also, scanning your system using anti-keylogger tools is essential to ensure nobody is recording your keystrokes.

Social Engineering Scams: A few years ago, social engineering became something of an Internet buzzword. But the basic concept is really old. In simple words, it’s a form of guidance that gets the victims to disclose the confidential information on their own.

In gaming communities, social engineering is very common and is used to scam people’s gaming accounts, their credit card numbers or virtual goods. Depending on the situations, there can be a lot of additions with Facebook scams or Craigslist scams.

Most anti-scam pieces of advice are the same despite the medium. Never give your usernames or passwords to anyone. Do not click links from the untrusted references. Do adhere to the tips for decreasing social engineering attacks.

Database Breaches: You must have probably heard of it. The hackers hack major online gaming sites and steal their login credentials. They then use the hacked credentials to steal various forms of in-game virtual currency. Understand that no company in the world is ever fully secured. Also, there is a risk when you use your credit card online. Sometimes these breaches are outside your control, but you should be careful to protect yourself against online identity theft.

So practice good security habits like staying up-to-date with the latest software versions, setting up a firewall, being aware of something that seems unusual to you, and never sharing your account details with others.

Were you ever a victim of security or malware threats due to your online game? Tell us about your experiences in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

15 thoughts on “Security and Malware Threats For Gamers

1. Testri says:

Good to know

2. badelhas says:

Since I am a veteran gamer, I already knew all this but it´s a great article for the initiate.

3. Raphael Fabella says:

I assume many PC gamers use antivirus software to keep their PCs safe. Because let’s face it, if you spend a lot of money on a PC, you have to make sure it’s safe and protected.

4. Maury Cheskes says:

Security on any device is key. Another good tip is to change your password periodically.

5. dianatan says:

It is advisable to install anti-virus, even though it may be expensive. In the long run, your computer is secure from malwares.

6. Jeanette says:

I’m always paranoid. I always suspect websites or emails that have links and will open in a browser and then ask me to login. Spam that makes way to my inbox is easy to spot. But some are so good in copying legit sites.

7. Mansoor says:

Another informative article! Great job guys. We’re so engrossed in our games that we sometimes forget that hackers are lurking and just waiting for an opportunity to pounce when we are not alert!

8. Kyo Kusagi says:

Database breach? I never knew anything that. this is definitely new to me good post.

9. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

Social Media Scams in gaming? Wow these article is informative at the least and good tips I will try this out.

10. Chuck says:

Great article for novice gamers. They sometimes get too excited and caught up in the game and just click on whatever is on the screen.

11. Maripaz says:

I have a hard-to-remove virus on my laptop now, probably due to a software I downloaded. It replicates my files. I had an anti-virus fix that but it wasn’t removed totally. I always see a prompt about a missing file every time I boot my laptop. I’m trying to get rid of it myself because I’m still saving important files online before I have this fixed by a technician.

12. Miaka Yuuki says:

another tip is do an annual system check in pC you can do an annual reformatting to start fresh. Another thing is to back up everything in the case of an attack you can just boot up the game through that back up.

13. MIco Robin says:

This is why I use internet explorer in games as a browser. Sure you can lash out at IE for being weak in viruses but, in terms of file downloads that prompt that notifies you to download a file or not helps. Unlike Google who just allow files to be downloaded automatically. IT is not much but having some protection is better than just allowing stuff automatically for those files may contain malware.

14. Sakura Kinomoto says:

Another tip is to have browser protectors. A good example is COMODO web inspector again its not full proof but hey at least it helps.

15. captain Ussop says:

I had that problem too. Being too hype about a game that I click everything as a result viruses spree. I have to reformat my system for it which sucks.