Maintaining a Balance Between Studying and Video Games. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Gaming. Media & Entertainment.

Are you someone for whom gaming is a compelling hobby – one that can be difficult to balance with studying and work properly?

Achieving the balance between studying and playing video games require practical tactics.

The academic success for fans of video games should not simply depend on “Do your homework and limit your time for playing games online.” Hence, you need some tips to manage your life between academics, work and video games.

• First of all, If your parents are skeptical or are dead-set against video games, your first task would be to assure them that gaming is a genuine hobby that deserves their support. Assure them you won’t let your studies or work get affected by video games!
  • The more reasoned and thoughtful approach is to team up with your parents to decide and evaluate your complete schedule, including homework, extracurricular activities, a right amount of physical activity, and hobbies such as gaming together.
  • Brutal honesty is an excellent tool for staying on track. Recognize your goals so that you can articulate the practices and habits that would help you in achieving them.
  • Giving up the game is not at all the solution to avoid the temptation of indulging in another quest or levels! Remember: All work and no play head directly to burnout and a festering hatred for your responsibilities, and duties that should be your priority.
  • Try to set your priorities. Prepare a list of the things that are important to you and figure out how you can use that list to generate a good working plan.
  • You should always consider temporary options or alternatives. Many academic challenges are not really compatible with the long-term schedules. So, watch out for more flexible and manageable schedules and alternatives that help you to keep you the required balance.

So develop your own plan for balancing studies and video games. Consider all the basics when you’re trying to figure out your activities in the daily life!

Let us know your views on how you manage your work and playing in the comments section!

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

19 thoughts on “Maintaining a Balance Between Studying and Video Games

1. Miaka Yuuki says:

Now, this is a problem that is common here I mean kids are so fixated on games that they end up either cutting classes or worst not eating. This is a very hard issue to pinpoint because of that hand eye coordination argument. So the question is how do we balance these things out???

2. Kyo Kusagi says:

Brutal honesty? interesting tip but it may prove of some use. As they say too much of everything is bad and at times we have to say enough to games no matter how much we love them a dose of reality can be good too.

3. Deejay Dayton says:

its not just gaming that creates this kind of problem. an ability to organize one’s time is critical, no matter what a person’s age, or what kind of interests or hobbies they have. Getting the things that have to be done well on the way before “rewarding” oneself with gaming time, or any other hobby, is the only way to balance it out.

4. Yuen Ling Elaine Au Yeung says:

“your first task would be to assure them that gaming is a genuine hobby that deserves their support. Assure them you won’t let your studies or work get affected by video games” What I think that, in order to gain parents supporting to play video games, you might let them know is for relaxing and breathing out studying or working stressful.

5. Saleh says:

No video games on Sunday til Thursday nights. Period. This is a non-negotiable rule for my kids. Not against video games, but as they are still growing up, I have to instill discipline on them.

6. Abisola says:

Parents must do their job properly. Closely monitor what their children are doing inside their rooms. Personally, I believe Facebook is more dangerous than video games. It has caused suicides and lured young girls into dangerous situations.

7. MIco Robin says:

It all boils down to parents being parents and doing their jobs. WE also have to consider that this scenario will only work on kids as suppose to adults still it is totally bias to blame games for misbehavior.

8. Kadoya Tsukasa says:

It is important to find balance between both elements. To me all it takes is knowing what your priorities are if you have exams then study first and only play games during breaks .

9. Francis Rios says:

Personally, there isn’t really need to balance. If you are true to your skill as a gamer, then be a gamer. If you really want a good job, a good skill set and foundation when you grow up, then this problem wouldn’t be a problem at all. This problem is a very common problem. Although it is a right for a child to play, I think that it is just very weird to let your child play.

10. Harry Rios says:

Well yeah, I think this too is to be considered. Parents should be the first one to evaluate you in your hobby. It is just not rightful to follow their opinions especially that these parents have been through more than you’ve been through. But all in all, very great article. Informative! Keep it up.

11. Mauricio says:

Parents know best. I mean, only parents can know their children’s capabilities or habits. Some children can be more advanced than others that video games during school days is okay. Other kids might need more study time. Nevertheless, studies should come first.

12. Jhan-jhan says:

I play DOTA 2 everyday and my mother is not mad at me, I do not fail in my subjects so I guess that is okay.

13. Mau T. says:

I hope kids could actually sit down with their parents and discuss this. I think most gamers would say that a balanced life is 10% studying and 90% video games…

14. Uchiha Itachi says:

That is actually a good suggestion. Kids and parents should compromise to balance things out between video games and study.

15. Machwind2012 says:

If my future kid has mad skills in gaming I will join him as form of bonding. With that said however, I will also be sure to remind him that a game should just be that no more no less.

16. Wilma says:

It’s hard to justify video gaming for long hours. I’d recommend kids looking at their school work as gourmet cheesecake and video games as oreos. Video gaming is far inferior.

17. BERNICE says:

Just make sure the proportions are right. Homework for 30 minutes, video game for 15 minutes, homework for 30 minutes, go outside for 15 minutes, and do that cycle once or twice more depending on how much homework you have.

18. Sherissa says:

I see no problem at all with having my children play video games on school days. It makes them alert because it’s sort of like a brain exercise. They are more eager to study after playing, And their doing well in school too.

19. Dougal says:

This is a parenting issue. I’m all for being fair and equal to my kids so I let them play but if they fail at school, the game consoles go away!