An Overview On the History Of Video Games. Presented by Saljack Enterprises. Media & Entertainment. Gaming.

An Overview On the History Of Video Games

We can now play the high-quality video games with 3D graphics and an impressive interactivity comfortably in our homes, taking for granted the little and detailed improvements made to each and every console before becoming what they are today!

The development of video game consoles is indeed interesting. Did you know that there were more than 70 different consoles to date? If you want to know about such facts, then I ensure you that this blog post will excite you even more with the bits and pieces of engrossing historical facts about the video games.

So, whether you’re a gamer or not, go behind the scene and reveal the ‘making’ of present-day video games consoles!

In the Early Years, the first identified example of a game machine was revealed in 1940 by Dr. Edward Condon at the New York World’s Fair. The game was based on the ancient mathematical game of Nim. It was played by around 50,000 people during its first six months winning more than 90 percent of the games.

Nearly three decades later, Ralph Baer and his team released his prototype, the “Brown Box,” in 1967. It was a vacuum tube circuit that could be connected to the television, and it allowed two users to command the cubes that chased each other on the screen. This “Brown Box” could be further programmed to play different games, including four sports games and Ping Pong, checkers. So by now, people were using advanced technology for the first time, the added accessories introduced a lightgun for the target oriented shooting game, and also a particular attachment used for a golf putting the game.

The “Brown Box” was authorized to Magnavox, which issued the system as the Magnavox Odyssey in 1972. It was leading Atari by a few months; that is often wrongly thought of as the first games console.

From 1976 to 1977, a range of Magnavox Odyssey consoles was built to provide new consoles and one slightly better than the previous one. The consoles usually had the same games within, but with some changes in the controllers, graphics, and digital on-screen scoring.

However, some mismanagement in the consoles gave birth to the digital gaming we know today!

In 1972 Nolan Bushnell, the godfather of gaming founded Atari. It became the first gaming company to set the example for a large-scale gaming community. Atari not only improved their in-house games, but also formulated a new industry around the arcade. BY now, the Tech-heads realized that they were onto a big thing.

Between 1972 and 1985, more than 10-15 companies started developing video games for the expanding market.

The very first example of players competing on different screens came in 1973 with a strategic turn-based game called “Empire” which was designed for the PLATO network platform and up to eight players could play on them. According to usage records from the PLATO system, the gamers spent about 300,000 hours playing their favorite game Empire between 1978 and 1985. PLATO represented one of the initial steps on the technological road to the Internet and the online multiplayer gaming. By this point of time, gaming was popular among the youngsters and was a shared activity where people competed for high-scores.

After playing the same kind of video games, people were bored, and the companies started thinking about advanced methods to impress their customers. The home computers had much more convincing processors than the previous consoles; this reopened the door to a fresh level of gaming, with more complex and less linear games. It also allowed the gamers to create their own games with the BASIC code. Even Bill Gates created a game, called Donkey (an easy game that required dodging donkeys on a highway while driving your sports car)!

It is not over yet!

Interested in knowing about the modern age of gaming and the future of gaming? Stay tuned with us!

DISCLAIMER: THE VIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS ARTICLE ARE SOLELY THOSE OF THE ORIGINAL AUTHORS (THIRD PARTY) AND OTHER CONTRIBUTORS. THESE VIEWS AND OPINIONS DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF SALJACK ENTERPRISES, IT’S STAFF, AND/OR ANY/ALL CONTRIBUTORS TO THIS SITE.

SJE_Third_Party_Signature

40 thoughts on “An Overview on the History of Video Games

1. aschmidtweb says:

I like posts which teach me history like this one 🙂 Thank you for sharing!

2. hatatablog says:

Very nice I happy I find this website and I want contribute also thank you

3. Nat says:

I just noticed that the game machine, which is likely for a game like Street Fighter because of the button placements, in the image above have mirrored controls – no such thing in reality. Regarding the post however, it will be very good for the younger visitors of this site if more information will be added to this topic. Almost everyone with a smartphone plays games on them. It will be good for them to learn where it all began.

1. Great observation. Yes more topics like these will be posted in the future. Thank you for the comment.

4. Athan says:

Reading that just made me feel old! I could still remember some of the codes for programming using BASIC and using those big floppy disks to save my files in. Who would’ve thought back then that computers will eventually fit in one’s pocket? And the games? They surely have gone a long way! I hope the author of this page would add more info on this topic for the whippersnappers that might drop by.

1. Stan R. says:

You and me both! But we’re not old it’s just that technology is moving too fast! 😉

Gaming has come a long way indeed. I still remember when my cousins had Atari and I was completely envious of them.

6. roisterous says:

I genuinely did think that Atari was the first, so thanks for clearing that up. I do remember my father playing a game on the commodore computer that he had. No one else played, but I remember watching him sit on the ground and play it.

7. Deejay Dayton says:

This looks like it will be a very interesting series of articles! I was completely surprised to discover that video games go back as far as 1940! The first I knew of them was Atari Pong, and I could have sworn it began with that.

8. Grimard says:

The video game industry and constantly evolved with never-ending improvement. Very small and gradual improvements that many people like myself have even overlooked. Great overview about the history of video games.

9. Ted says:

Videos games have definitely come a lonnnnng way! I remember just having to go down to the corner store and put in a quarter to play. No easy access to all the computer games everyone has nowadays. Technology is moving at lightening speeds now and there’s no telling how far it will go. This can be a bad thing and a good thing, but let’s hope it’s all brings about a wealth of positive benefits for everyone.

10. Bresette says:

I sure didn’t know that there were more than 70 different gaming consoles. Wow this is some great information – especially for gamers. Will share your article on some gaming forums!

11. luffyzorro2012 says:

Very well done as a videogame fan I thank you for this history lesson. But this is just for starters because video games are here to stay, Case and point technology is interactive now so rest assured that trend will continue in games

12. Mauricio says:

I never heard before about “Brown Box” . It is always great to know real history. I used to play Intelevision, which had great games

13. Yuen Ling Elaine Au Yeung says:

“After playing the same kind of video games, people were bored, and the companies started thinking about advanced methods to impress their customers.” What I think that, technology bring an entertainment to people, and let people for more enjoyment.

14. Gordy says:

As weird as it may sound, I think this should be taught in schools. This ties in directly with technology and it’s so prevalent nowadays.

1. Chelsey says:

Yeah I wouldn’t be surprised is gaming technologies becomes a required course and even a method to learn in many classes. Actually it would be a fun and different way for kids to learn!

15. onejanedoe says:

I too found this to be an interesting and informative post. It brought back fond reminices of my early gaming experiences, the first serious ones being with Intellivision and their skiiing and golfing type games. My brother was the one with the money to buy the gaming console and him and I and occasionally my girlfriend and her husband would play. Then we happened on a game calledr LocknChase which was competition with PacMan. I bought it for my brother for Christmas and I remember it cost me $80 before tax. Back then, that was a lot of money and still is for a game. That whole Christmas all you heard was the sound of the character dying when the “ghost” police would catch him and he couldn’t gobble more fruit. We had a lot of fun with those mindless maze type chase games but ya, when Sega started coming out with games like Jurassic Park and Echo, the games started to change and those that were into them got really involved. The graphics were amazing to us back then. Just think what we would have thought if we could have seen then, what can be done now. Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I enjoyed it.

Liked by 2 people

1. milloi6996 says:

Escuse me for my English its not my language. I remember games from the Sierra company. Like Police Quest and Lesuire Suit Larry. OMG those were some good days. All boys would play these games so they can get a virtual woman lol Now VR is here so its so different. Thank you.

16. luffyzorro2012 says:

That picture sumes it all on how gaming has come a long way. I feel old and nostagic as I reminice myself using that insert coin system to play. It is still used today in malls and arcades .

17. Bobby says:

I watched TRON as a kid in the 80s. I think it was a testament to the gaming industry’s popularity at that time. Oh and I watched the sequel too in 2010.

18. Cory says:

I grew up on NES and I’m very excited that I will be able to play it on my phone soon! I love Super Mario Bros.!

19. theramenboi says:

this article just reminds me so much of my wonderful childhood… playing simple black and white video games… brick games… game and watch… family computer and such… it’s been such a long time since i started playing video games… now, they are just so future forward… 3d… 4d… holographic and the likes… so real… and so dynamic… it’s just fun to look back from where all these started… and technology just seems to push the boundaries even more and create more games that are just damn crazy… so better watch out you millenials… there’s just alot more to look forward to

20. VirtualBABE says:

As a certified VirtualBABE i can say that i have played alot of games since i was 7… lol… yes, im that old baby… and knowing that games nowadays are so much different than before… im just damn happy… coz with games nowadays… one can truly be part of the game… so realistic… and im just waiting for more developments when it comes to online and video games… this just excites me much… more tech savvy games pls!!!

21. Since long I was looking for such information and now I got it. I always like to explore the history of specific subject, as it is the combination of both, knowledge and information. Thanks.

22. Jade says:

Beautiful article. I love history because we can learn a lot from it. What happened to Atari? Will Nintendo go down that way or find resurrection in mobile games?

1. Great questions Jade. We will have the answers to these in a future posting. Thank you for your comment.

23. Doug says:

I miss playing at video game arcades. We don’t have them now. While it’s true that playing in the comforts of your own room has its benefits, there’s no better experience than playing together with your friends IRL, in an arcade. Sorry, just nostalgic about the 80s.

24. Zach says:

Wow! I did not expect that video games go that far back. I hope that there will be a museum where we can see all these machines fully functional. Better yet, where we can use them ourselves!

25. Xander says:

I remember playing with a video game machine that has a controller with a stick in the middle an one orange/red button. I forgot the name of that machine. I wonder if it’s one of those mentioned in this article.

26. TheSexyFilipina says:

YES!!! im interested in knowing about the modern age of gaming and the future of gaming… that’s one thing that i really forward to in life… i got no bf… got no kids… living away from family… and the only outlet i have are these video and online games that i have… i am happy that tech people have develpoed games so well since GameNwatch… i want more UPDATES!!!!

27. luffyzorro2012 says:

Games has gone a long way since joysticks, tetris etc. hell there is even an augmented reality system that is primarily developed for gaming, However I can see far more uses than that hell I even said that If I have that I will be a superhero yeah lol.

28. Ricki says:

My first handheld game was Zelda. It was the coolest thing at that time because it has two screens! Well, if you consider that most “clam shell” handheld games at that time had one screen only…so mine was way cool! Oh those were simpler times.

29. Danny says:

Arcade games were the best! It was more of the experience. Well of course the games were the best at that time but that sense of being able to get lost in different games with your pals and enjoying the moment is priceless!

30. luffyzorro2012 says:

I agree nothing beats that tangible feeling of holding the console/ joystick for it gives us the physical connection as compared to lets say touch screen. But what can we do everything is digital now even our games so either we roll with it or do not.

31. Harrison says:

I remember watching this reaction video on YouTube where they made kids play with the SNES. I don’t remember whining that much when I was a kid. Then again, that form of entertainment wasn’t as widespread as it is today. Anyway, I could only imagine how those kids would react playing with the stuff mentioned here!

32. Nico says:

Learning about history, for me, is really hard. Maybe it’s because I do not find it interesting. Now THIS history? This is something that today’s generation must know about.